Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Unable to get values from associative arrays into a different procedure (Database:11.2.0.1.0; O/S: Linux 3.0.101-0.47.71-default x86_64)
Unable to get values from associative arrays into a different procedure [message #650419] Mon, 25 April 2016 00:04 Go to next message
buggleboy007
I am experiencing an issue when trying to call a procedure outside. This procedure takes an input parameter and sends out a collection type.
Basically I am either unable to call the values outside of the procedure and the count outside of the procedure returns null.

can any one help me with this issue.

The code is as follows:

The following portion is declared in a package specification and is:

TYPE numberofdays_aa IS RECORD
        (tablename        IRF_PURGE_CNTRL_PRCS.purge_cntrl_table_nm%TYPE ,
         numberofdays     IRF_PURGE_CNTRL_PRCS.purged_cntrl_value_qty%TYPE);

TYPE la_noofdays_aa   IS TABLE OF numberofdays_aa INDEX BY PLS_INTEGER;

In the package body the following code exists:

Firstly I created a local procedure (with forward declarations on the top in my package body) which is as follows:

PROCEDURE getnoofdays(g_PURGE_CNTRL_CD1 IN IRF_PURGE_CNTRL_PRCS.purge_cntrl_cd%TYPE,
                      p_tOuttablename     OUT la_noofdays_aa)
IS

lv_Num_index         PLS_INTEGER;

BEGIN

SELECT purge_cntrl_table_nm,purged_cntrl_value_qty 
       BULK COLLECT INTO lv_aa_noofdays
       FROM   irf_purge_cntrl_prcs
       WHERE  purge_cntrl_cd = g_PURGE_CNTRL_CD1
       AND    purge_cntrl_table_nm <> 'CMF_EDI_ERR_PURGE'; 

lv_Num_index:=lv_aa_noofdays.COUNT;

DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line(to_char(lv_Num_index));

FOR I in lv_aa_noofdays.FIRST..lv_aa_noofdays.LAST
        LOOP
            DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line(to_char(lv_aa_noofdays(I).tablename) ||'-'||to_char(lv_aa_noofdays(I).numberofdays));   
        END LOOP;

END;                                                

I compiled it and it compiled successfully.

Then I am trying to call this procedure in a different area of the same package body and I am using the following code:

p_tOuttblnm   la_noofdays_aa;

--***********SAMPLE TESTING TO GET INTO AN ARRAY****************************

getnoofdays(g_PURGE_CNTRL_CD1, p_tOuttblnm);

FOR nIndex IN 1..p_tOuttblnm.COUNT LOOP
            DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line(TO_CHAR(p_tOuttblnm(nIndex).tablename)||'-'||TO_CHAR(p_tOuttblnm(nIndex).numberofdays));

END LOOP;
        --***********************************************************************

Once the cursor comes out of the above procedure it does not even go into the "FOR LOOP". My intention is to bring the two values
(which come out of the SELECT QUERY ) AND put them into the above DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line (the 2nd one; and not the one in the procedure as I am able to fetch the values there).

Can any one help me please?
Re: Unable to get values from associative arrays into a different procedure [message #650425 is a reply to message #650419] Mon, 25 April 2016 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

There can be many origins of your issue.
Create a test case which represents your problem and we can reproduce.
In other words, try to reproduce the same problem with simple and COMPLETE code we can execute by our side.

Re: Unable to get values from associative arrays into a different procedure [message #650432 is a reply to message #650419] Mon, 25 April 2016 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solomon Yakobson
buggleboy007 wrote on Mon, 25 April 2016 01:04

Once the cursor comes out of the above procedure it does not even go into the "FOR LOOP".

Any chance there is WHEN OTHERS/WHEN NO_DATA_FOUND exception block? If so, most likely your code is masking errors in call to getnoofdays which would explain why FOR LOOP isn't executed.

SY.
Re: Unable to get values from associative arrays into a different procedure [message #650434 is a reply to message #650432] Mon, 25 April 2016 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buggleboy007
There is a WHEN NO_DATA_FOUND error handler. Initially yes, after coming out of the procedure it would straight generate a run time error and get into the said error handler. But after modifying the for loop to what it is now, it is not going into error handler but just comes out of the FOR LOOP completely. In other words it does not even go there.

Re: Unable to get values from associative arrays into a different procedure [message #650437 is a reply to message #650434] Mon, 25 April 2016 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

So?
Is the case over or not?
If not, then post what I requested.

Re: Unable to get values from associative arrays into a different procedure [message #650440 is a reply to message #650437] Mon, 25 April 2016 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buggleboy007
Let me try a few things first and if it goes well, will let you know. If not, will post as you suggested Michel.
Re: Unable to get values from associative arrays into a different procedure [message #650441 is a reply to message #650440] Mon, 25 April 2016 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair
Re: Unable to get values from associative arrays into a different procedure [message #650442 is a reply to message #650441] Mon, 25 April 2016 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buggleboy007
BlackSwan wrote on Mon, 25 April 2016 08:59
Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

BS: If you don't wish to help that's fine. You can even ignore my posts henceforth. But posting nonsense comments such as what you have posted is completely uncalled for. I know I am weak in collections and Oracle being a vast ocean there are lots of things that I need to learn. I am aware of this.

Besides when you have put me on ignore list, you should not even be wasting your time trying to comment on my flawed code. You just come off as an ass.

Remember silence is golden. If all you know is only to criticize, then I would suggest that you just shut up and move on to other posts. Anyways thanks for your wonderful piece of advice.
Re: Unable to get values from associative arrays into a different procedure [message #650460 is a reply to message #650419] Mon, 25 April 2016 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
In your getnoofdays procedure you have done bulk collect into lv_aa_noofdays which has not been declared anywhere. You have not populated the out parameter p_tOuttablename of the getnoofdays procedure anywhere. So, when you call getnoofdays from your different procedure, it isn't receiving anything. Please see the corrected code below, with some assumptions, since you did not provide full code.

SCOTT@orcl> CREATE TABLE irf_purge_cntrl_prcs
  2    (purge_cntrl_table_nm	VARCHAR2(30),
  3  	purged_cntrl_value_qty	NUMBER,
  4  	purge_cntrl_cd		NUMBER)
  5  /

Table created.

SCOTT@orcl> INSERT ALL
  2  INTO irf_purge_cntrl_prcs VALUES ('table1', 10, 1)
  3  INTO irf_purge_cntrl_prcs VALUES ('table2', 20, 1)
  4  INTO irf_purge_cntrl_prcs VALUES ('CMF_EDI_ERR_PURGE', 30, 1)
  5  INTO irf_purge_cntrl_prcs VALUES ('table4', 40, 4)
  6  SELECT * FROM DUAL
  7  /

4 rows created.

SCOTT@orcl> CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE your_package
  2  AS
  3    TYPE numberofdays_aa IS RECORD
  4  	 (tablename	   IRF_PURGE_CNTRL_PRCS.purge_cntrl_table_nm%TYPE ,
  5  	  numberofdays	   IRF_PURGE_CNTRL_PRCS.purged_cntrl_value_qty%TYPE);
  6    TYPE la_noofdays_aa   IS TABLE OF numberofdays_aa INDEX BY PLS_INTEGER;
  7    PROCEDURE getnoofdays
  8  	 (g_PURGE_CNTRL_CD1 IN	IRF_PURGE_CNTRL_PRCS.purge_cntrl_cd%TYPE,
  9  	  p_tOuttablename   OUT la_noofdays_aa);
 10    PROCEDURE different_procedure
 11  	 (g_PURGE_CNTRL_CD1 IN	IRF_PURGE_CNTRL_PRCS.purge_cntrl_cd%TYPE);
 12  END your_package;
 13  /

Package created.

SCOTT@orcl> SHOW ERRORS
No errors.
SCOTT@orcl> CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE BODY your_package
  2  AS
  3    PROCEDURE getnoofdays
  4  	 (g_PURGE_CNTRL_CD1 IN	IRF_PURGE_CNTRL_PRCS.purge_cntrl_cd%TYPE,
  5  	  p_tOuttablename   OUT la_noofdays_aa)
  6    IS
  7  	 lv_aa_noofdays 	la_noofdays_aa;
  8  	 lv_Num_index		PLS_INTEGER;
  9    BEGIN
 10  	 SELECT purge_cntrl_table_nm,purged_cntrl_value_qty
 11  	 BULK COLLECT INTO lv_aa_noofdays
 12  	 FROM	irf_purge_cntrl_prcs
 13  	 WHERE	purge_cntrl_cd = g_PURGE_CNTRL_CD1
 14  	 AND	purge_cntrl_table_nm <> 'CMF_EDI_ERR_PURGE';
 16  	 lv_Num_index:=lv_aa_noofdays.COUNT;
 18  	 DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line(to_char(lv_Num_index));
 20  	 FOR I in 1..lv_aa_noofdays.COUNT
 21  	 LOOP
 22  	   DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line(to_char(lv_aa_noofdays(I).tablename) ||'-'||to_char(lv_aa_noofdays(I).numberofdays));
 23  	 END LOOP;
 25  	 p_tOuttablename := lv_aa_noofdays;
 26    END getnoofdays;
 28    PROCEDURE different_procedure
 29  	 (g_PURGE_CNTRL_CD1 IN	IRF_PURGE_CNTRL_PRCS.purge_cntrl_cd%TYPE)
 30    IS
 31  	 p_tOuttblnm   la_noofdays_aa;
 32    BEGIN
 33  	 getnoofdays(g_PURGE_CNTRL_CD1, p_tOuttblnm);
 35  	 FOR nIndex IN 1..p_tOuttblnm.COUNT LOOP
 36  	   DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line(TO_CHAR(p_tOuttblnm(nIndex).tablename)||'-'||TO_CHAR(p_tOuttblnm(nIndex).numberofdays));
 37  	  END LOOP;
 38    END different_procedure;
 39  END your_package;
 40  /

Package body created.

SCOTT@orcl> SHOW ERRORS
No errors.
SCOTT@orcl> EXEC your_package.different_procedure (1)
table1-10
table2-20
table1-10
table2-20

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

SCOTT@orcl> EXEC your_package.different_procedure (5)

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

Re: Unable to get values from associative arrays into a different procedure [message #650736 is a reply to message #650460] Mon, 02 May 2016 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buggleboy007
[quote]Barbara Boehmer wrote on Mon, 25 April 2016 15:36
In your getnoofdays procedure you have done bulk collect into lv_aa_noofdays which has not been declared anywhere. You have not populated the out parameter p_tOuttablename of the getnoofdays procedure anywhere. So, when you call getnoofdays from your different procedure, it isn't receiving anything. Please see the corrected code below, with some assumptions, since you did not provide full code.

Thanks Barbara for all your assistance. You are correct - I was not populating the values of lv_aa_noofdays back into the OUT parameter. Hence I was stuck.I checked your code, understood and tried it myself. It's working fine now. In fact I changed it a bit to make the necessary corrections as well. Here's what I have now:

PROCEDURE getnoofdays(g_PURGE_CNTRL_CD1 IN IRF_PURGE_CNTRL_PRCS.purge_cntrl_cd%TYPE,
                      p_tOuttablename     OUT la_noofdays_aa)
IS
    lv_aa_noofdays      la_noofdays_aa;   
    lv_Num_index         PLS_INTEGER;

BEGIN

BULK COLLECT INTO lv_aa_noofdays

lv_Num_index:=lv_aa_noofdays.COUNT;

FOR I in 1..lv_Num_index 
        LOOP
            --DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line(TO_CHAR(lv_aa_noofdays(I).tablename)||'-'||TO_CHAR(lv_aa_noofdays(I).numberofdays));
            p_tOuttablename(I).tablename:=lv_aa_noofdays(I).tablename;
            p_tOuttablename(I).numberofdays:=lv_aa_noofdays(I).numberofdays;
        END LOOP;
END getnoofdays; 

Apologies for my delayed response as I was sick the whole of last week.

Thanks once again Barbara for all your assistance.
Re: Unable to get values from associative arrays into a different procedure [message #650741 is a reply to message #650736] Mon, 02 May 2016 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I am glad that it worked for you and hope you're feeling better. I don't know if what you have posted is a simplification of the real problem, so I don't know if you need all of the variables for some other processing. If not, then you can eliminate some by just selecting directly into the out parameter. Please see the simplified code below.

PROCEDURE getnoofdays
    (g_PURGE_CNTRL_CD1 IN  IRF_PURGE_CNTRL_PRCS.purge_cntrl_cd%TYPE,
     p_tOuttablename   OUT la_noofdays_aa)
  IS
  BEGIN
    BULK COLLECT INTO p_tOuttablename
  END getnoofdays;

[Updated on: Mon, 02 May 2016 14:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Unable to get values from associative arrays into a different procedure [message #650746 is a reply to message #650741] Mon, 02 May 2016 20:08 Go to previous message
buggleboy007
As I am implementing the concept of Collections(with every author of a PL/SQL book doing it in a different format/style) for the very first time in my project, ideas such as yours are significantly a step in the right direction as far as I am concerned.

Yes, I agree there are a couple of unwanted variables and things that are not likely to be used, should not be in the code. I will give your idea a try Barbara and let you know the results.
Previous Topic: how to match multiple wildcards via metadata table
Next Topic: HELP TO FORM DYNAMIC INSERT QUERY IN PL/SQL
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:16:13 CDT 2024