Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Issues with CLIENT_OLE2 in Oracle Forms 10g (Oracle Forms 10g)
Issues with CLIENT_OLE2 in Oracle Forms 10g [message #638328] Tue, 09 June 2015 09:45 Go to next message
lagranzotto
I'm trying to open an Microsoft Word instance in the client's machine using CLIENT_OLE2 functions from Webutil library by this piece of code:

FUNCTION file_open (FILE VARCHAR2)
  RETURN client_ole2.obj_type
IS
  arg_list    client_ole2.list_type;
  document    client_ole2.obj_type;
  documents   client_ole2.obj_type;
BEGIN
  arg_list  := client_ole2.create_arglist;
  client_ole2.add_arg(arg_list, FILE);     
  documents := client_ole2.invoke_obj(appl_id, 'documents'); -- Here the browser dies
  document  := client_ole2.invoke_obj(documents, 'open', arg_list);
  client_ole2.destroy_arglist (arg_list);
  client_ole2.release_obj(documents);
  RETURN document;
END file_open;

But the browser dies when it tries to open the file on the Word instance. The browser and jmv doesn't show any error messages. I'm getting crazy trying to migrate this functionality from Forms 6i, which works flawlessly with OLE2 to this buggy miscarriage named Webutil.
Re: Issues with CLIENT_OLE2 in Oracle Forms 10g [message #638345 is a reply to message #638328] Tue, 09 June 2015 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CraigB
It is not as simple as changing the OLE calls to CLIENT_OLE2. You have to change the code to work with CLIENT_OLE2. Take a look at this Oracle How To article: How to - Performing OLE on the client using WebUtil.

Craig...
Re: Issues with CLIENT_OLE2 in Oracle Forms 10g [message #638346 is a reply to message #638345] Tue, 09 June 2015 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lagranzotto
I've already followed that same tutorial... But the application simply crashes the browser an jInitiator, without a glimpse of error messages when i invoke the object. My client machine is using Windows 8.1 with Office 2010. When i create the OLE object, Word starts successfuly. But when i try to open or create a new doc file, the thing goes awry.
Re: Issues with CLIENT_OLE2 in Oracle Forms 10g [message #638391 is a reply to message #638346] Wed, 10 June 2015 08:33 Go to previous message
CraigB
Why are you using Jnititator? This Java Runtime is based on the Sun 1.3 JRE and is completely incompatible with any OS newer than Windows XP. Plus, Oracle has depricated the Jinitiator. I'm pretty sure this is the cause of your crashing since WebUtil uses the Java Comm Bridge to interface with OLE. Since you are using Forms 10g (which is also desupported by Oracle) you should at a minimum be using JRE 1.6.0_45. You will need to update your Application Server's formsweb.cfg to tell the Forms runtime to use JRE 1.6.0 instead of Jinitiator. Take a look at this article How to configure forms builder to run forms locally for a listing of the formsweb.cfg settings that need to be changed. The rest of the article refers to setting up your environment so you can run your form from the Forms Builder.

Craig...

[Updated on: Wed, 10 June 2015 08:34]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Oracle Forms 11g limited to 60 users
Next Topic: Issue in migration of Forms from 10g to 11g r1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 08:13:50 CDT 2024