Home » Infrastructure » Windows » select insttallation Method does not display (oracle 10g.)
select insttallation Method does not display [message #576953] Mon, 11 February 2013 05:38 Go to next message
ariffcal
I have installed oracle 10g in D drive .

The instalation says it is succeessful, without asking the database name or the password .

I have followed the steps given in the attached file .

However it is not asking the databse name or password ( no configuration set up is appearing for the user to interact with the system ) .

So, after installation I can not give the username and password .

The tnsnames.ora file is given below

# tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: D:\DevSuiteHome_1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = detasad-d21770c.stc.corp)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = PLSExtProc)
)
)

The files from where I installed is ds_windowx86 disk1 and disk 2.

Pls help
Re: select insttallation Method does not display [message #576954 is a reply to message #576953] Mon, 11 February 2013 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
And?
Everything you mentioned here is what is expected (depending on the option you gave).
If you don't ask Oracle to create a database when you installed it, it didn't create it, of course.

Regards
Michel
Re: select insttallation Method does not display [message #576963 is a reply to message #576954] Mon, 11 February 2013 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ariffcal

I am clicking NEXT , however in non of the screen it is asking me to give the database name . It is not displaying the screen .

First it is showing the path , ( should I give a database name here ) .

Where do I give the option ( the system should pause and ask ) ..
Re: select insttallation Method does not display [message #576967 is a reply to message #576963] Mon, 11 February 2013 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
On some Windows it asks you which kind of installation you want to make... unless you installed a client and not a server.

Regards
Michel
Re: select insttallation Method does not display [message #577019 is a reply to message #576967] Mon, 11 February 2013 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ariffcal
I am installing a client . where do I specify the database name .
Re: select insttallation Method does not display [message #577021 is a reply to message #577019] Mon, 11 February 2013 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
You don't. Client installation doesn't contain a database. I'd suggest you to uninstall everything you installed so far, and then download and install Oracle Database 11g Express Edition. At the end of a trivial installation process, you'll have a fully working database that will suite most of your needs at the moment.
Re: select insttallation Method does not display [message #577035 is a reply to message #577021] Tue, 12 February 2013 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ariffcal

Thank you very much .

My question is after the first installation .

What should I give as the user name
PASSWORD
HOSTSTRING .

While installing it not asking for anything ???????????

After installation I want to create a database in the client .

Please help

Output generated from configuration assistant "Oracle Net Configuration Assistant":
Parsing command line arguments:
Parameter "orahome" = C:\DevSuiteHome_1\storedb
Parameter "orahnam" = DevSuiteHome1
Parameter "responsefile" = C:\DevSuiteHome_1\storedb\network\install\netca_asinstall.rsp
Done parsing command line arguments.
Oracle Net Services Configuration:
Default local naming configuration complete.
Created net service name: EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA
Profile configuration complete.
Oracle Net Services configuration successful. The exit code is 0

Configuration assistant "Oracle Net Configuration Assistant" succeeded
Re: select insttallation Method does not display [message #577040 is a reply to message #577035] Tue, 12 February 2013 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Did you install what Littlefoot told you?

Regards
Michel
Re: select insttallation Method does not display [message #577041 is a reply to message #577035] Tue, 12 February 2013 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Do you, at least, know WHAT you installed? Information you posted suggest that it was Developer Suite (i.e. Forms & Reports). Is that so? Because, two messages earlier you stated that it is a Client software you are installing.

So - what is the truth?
Re: select insttallation Method does not display [message #577045 is a reply to message #576953] Tue, 12 February 2013 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ariffcal
I am installing Devsuite.

I need SQL ,FORMS and reports.

After selecting Application Development -> SQL . What should I give as USER NAme
Password
Host string for the 1st Time .

No it is not a client software .

Re: select insttallation Method does not display [message #577048 is a reply to message #577045] Tue, 12 February 2013 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
You don't even have a database, so there's nothing you should "give" as you don't "have" anything.

From my point of view: you should first have installed a database (11g XE I suggested, but you seem to ignore that suggestion). Then, install Developer Suite into a new Oracle Home (i.e. a new, different directory). Copy XE's TNSNAMES.ORA contents into Developer Suite's TNSNAMES.ORA.

Connect to the database using SQL*Plus as a privileged user (SYS would do at the moment); I believe that XE has a preinstalled HR schema which is locked, so you'll first have to unlock it. Exit SQL*Plus, start Forms and connect as HR user to your XE database.

Though, I'd suggest you to carefully read and follow the documentation, starting with Installation Guide(s). It seems that you want it quick and easy. However, Oracle isn't MS Excel so you'll have to read, read a lot.
Re: select insttallation Method does not display [message #577053 is a reply to message #577048] Tue, 12 February 2013 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
"SYS would do at the moment" -> SYSTEM rather.

Regards
Michel
Re: select insttallation Method does not display [message #577090 is a reply to message #577048] Tue, 12 February 2013 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ariffcal
Thanks a lot .

Please note that I am not ignoring your suggestion of installing database 11g XE( however I have an application on oracle 10g ) as you suggested, .

I have an application running on the server . It also has all Tables and FORMS(fmb) and reports( source code ) as well as the executable .It is developed in 10G

I had the some of the source code in my PC . My PC crashed .

Now I want to install devsuite and copy all source code application in my PC.

Can you give me the default password for SYSTEM
Re: select insttallation Method does not display [message #577092 is a reply to message #577090] Tue, 12 February 2013 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
"manager"

Regards
Michel
Re: select insttallation Method does not display [message #577093 is a reply to message #577092] Tue, 12 February 2013 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
So you have a database you can access, after all? Gee, when do you plan to explain what you have and what you'd want to have at the end of this story?

It appears that you don't have to install a database (XE I mentioned); you just have to put your 10g database's alias into Developer Suite's TNSNAMES.ORA file and everything should work just fine.
Re: select insttallation Method does not display [message #577094 is a reply to message #577093] Tue, 12 February 2013 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ariffcal
Thanks .

I copied the below tnsnames.ora .

Since my PC crashed .

I am giving the old user id and passowrd and it says 0ra 0107 .

I guess I have to create user id and password , but system and manager gives me Tns ora 12560
Re: select insttallation Method does not display [message #577095 is a reply to message #577094] Tue, 12 February 2013 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Well, I think that ORA-0107 doesn't exist. It is difficult to guess what you did and how Oracle responded because your messages are VERY clumsy (as if you are asking for help, but praying not to get it).

Where did you "give" these credentials? SQL*Plus? Forms? Something different?

Can you TNSPING your database?

Please, use SQL*Plus and post formatted copy/paste of your session.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 February 2013 05:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: select insttallation Method does not display [message #577096 is a reply to message #577094] Tue, 12 February 2013 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ariffcal
In SQLPLUS
Re: select insttallation Method does not display [message #577097 is a reply to message #577096] Tue, 12 February 2013 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
OK.

Good luck with further investigation!
Re: select insttallation Method does not display [message #577098 is a reply to message #577096] Tue, 12 February 2013 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ariffcal
Please let me know why system and manager , does not work in SQLPLUS
Re: select insttallation Method does not display [message #577099 is a reply to message #577098] Tue, 12 February 2013 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Why should it work?

Regards
Michel
devsuite installation [message #577197 is a reply to message #577097] Wed, 13 February 2013 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ariffcal
Thanks .

Sorry , I am back , I will try to make the messages more clear.

Devsuite installation was successful ,

Given below is the message

Output generated from configuration assistant "Oracle Net Configuration Assistant":
Parsing command line arguments:
Parameter "orahome" = D:\DevSuiteHome_1
Parameter "orahnam" = DevSuiteHome1
Parameter "responsefile" = D:\DevSuiteHome_1\network\install\netca_asinstall.rsp
Done parsing command line arguments.
Oracle Net Services Configuration:
Default local naming configuration complete.
Created net service name: EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA
Profile configuration complete.
Oracle Net Services configuration successful. The exit code is 0

Configuration assistant "Oracle Net Configuration Assistant" succeeded

I tried net configuration , specifying 127.0.0.1 as localhost

Service name XE .

After this I performed test

It is givining the below result .

Connecting...ORA-12541: TNS:no listener
The test did not succeed.

Some of the information you provided may be incorrect.
Click Back to review the information provided for net service name, or Change Login to change username.
Re: devsuite installation [message #577198 is a reply to message #577197] Wed, 13 February 2013 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Man, you don't have a database installed on your computer, do you? If that's so, there's no point in specifying "localhost".

Maybe you should ask a person - who installed software onto your crashed PC - to do the same on your new PC. Sit behind his/her shoulder and take notes so that you'd be able to do the same next time.
Re: devsuite installation [message #577207 is a reply to message #577198] Wed, 13 February 2013 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ariffcal
Problem Is I am working here alone .

Since everything was intalled succesfuly , Now I would like to create a brand new database (any) , create a table and use forms to create a form with the table as base table .

Re: devsuite installation [message #577208 is a reply to message #577207] Wed, 13 February 2013 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Didn't you say that you already have a database?
ariffcal
I have an application running on the server . It also has all Tables and FORMS(fmb) and reports( source code )

If not, then I already told you that Developer Suite installation doesn't create a database. I also told you to install 11g XE, but you don't want to do that.

I'm afraid I'm very confused /forum/fa/1580/0/; it's been 2 days already since you started the topic, but I have no idea what you have (except that you installed Developer Suite on your PC) and where. I'm probably too stupid to figure that out, so I'd rather leave it to someone else.
Re: devsuite installation [message #577214 is a reply to message #577208] Wed, 13 February 2013 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I'm probably too stupid to figure that out,

+1

Re: devsuite installation [message #577242 is a reply to message #577214] Wed, 13 February 2013 12:28 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
post results of the following SQL

SELECT * FROM V$VERSION;
Previous Topic: system admin log in error
Next Topic: Test Failed. Provider cannot be found
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:00:45 CDT 2024