Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » cannot see a-rows while querying dbms_xplan.display_cursor (Oracle Database 10g Enterprise (RAC) Edition Release 10.2.0.4.0 - 64bit, LINUX)
cannot see a-rows while querying dbms_xplan.display_cursor [message #553340] Thu, 03 May 2012 09:12 Go to next message
Andrey_R

Hi All,

I am trying to investigate a slow query.

1. I've ran the query with a hint of /*+ gather_plan_statistics */
2. got its sql_id,
3. and executed:
select * from table (dbms_xplan.display_cursor ('sql_id_number', 0, 'all allstats advanced'));

The output doen't show me A-ROWS to compare to E-ROWS and i have no clue why.

Does anyone know why, and how can i compare actual cardinality on stages of executing this query e.t.c?

Many thanks in advance,

Andrey
Re: cannot see a-rows while querying dbms_xplan.display_cursor [message #553341 is a reply to message #553340] Thu, 03 May 2012 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Since NOBODY can optimize SQL just by looking at it, we need a few more details.
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/m/433888/136107/#msg_433888
Please refer to URL above & be sure to provide the details requested:
1) DDL for all tables & indexes
2) EXPLAIN PLAN
3) output from SQL_TRACE & tkprof
Re: cannot see a-rows while querying dbms_xplan.display_cursor [message #553342 is a reply to message #553341] Thu, 03 May 2012 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
@Blackswan - that wasn't the question.
Re: cannot see a-rows while querying dbms_xplan.display_cursor [message #553345 is a reply to message #553340] Thu, 03 May 2012 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LNossov
Try with 'ADVANCED ALLSTATS LAST'.
Re: cannot see a-rows while querying dbms_xplan.display_cursor [message #553526 is a reply to message #553345] Sun, 06 May 2012 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrey_R
Hi All,

Blackswan - I understand it's easier to answer once you have a test case. Unfortunately - I do not have a RAC-configured database to create test case scripts on. In addition, I assume I am not the only one encountering this behavior and there should be a simple explanation why the A-ROWS column does not show up.

LNossov - I've tried it as you suggested - provides same output:

" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- "
"| Id | Operation | Name | E-Rows |E-Bytes| Cost (%CPU)| E-Time | OMem | 1Mem | Used-Mem |"
" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- "

Anybody has an idea why could this happen, and how to fix it, so I can see Actual Rows and such too, to compare to my estimate?

Thanks,
Andrey
Re: cannot see a-rows while querying dbms_xplan.display_cursor [message #553577 is a reply to message #553526] Mon, 07 May 2012 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LNossov
It has to work. Perhaps you have an unvisible character in your hint. Try to retype the hint. Additionally you can try with

alter session set statistics_level=all;

Could you please upload a complete protocol.
Re: cannot see a-rows while querying dbms_xplan.display_cursor [message #553628 is a reply to message #553577] Mon, 07 May 2012 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrey_R
Thank you for trying to help.
however, problem persists...

I have Prepared the following testcase on:

database version: Oracle Database 11g Release 11.1.0.7.0 - 64bit Production
OS version : Windows Server 2003

--create user, grant permissions, connect with the user:

create user ANDREY identified by whatever;
grant dba to ANDREY;
conn andrey/password@connstring;

--create the table for the testcase

create table testcase
 (id number, name varchar(15));

--fill it with data

begin
for i in 1..50000 loop
insert into testcase values
(i, 'name' || i);
end loop;
end;

-commit:
commit;

--set statistics level to all:

alter session 
set statistics_level = all;

--run the query:

select * 
from testcase;

--then run the query to detect its sql_id:

select sql_id,prev_sql_id 
from v$session v
where 
lower(program) like '%plus%'
and upper(username) like '%ANDREY%'
order by logon_time desc

--make sure that this is my query:

select sql_text 
from v$sql 
where sql_id = '22qf4xxf1v5za';

--then query the plan table to try and see A-ROWS, 
--in the same session, or another one:

select * from table(dbms_xplan.display_cursor('22qf4xxf1v5za', 0 , 'all allstats advanced'))

--also tried
--select * from table(dbms_xplan.display_cursor('22qf4xxf1v5za', 0 , 'ADVANCED ALLSTATS LAST'))

Unfortunately, it gives out the same output....
can anyone help please?

Thank you all in advance.

regards,
Andrey

[Updated on: Mon, 07 May 2012 06:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: cannot see a-rows while querying dbms_xplan.display_cursor [message #553633 is a reply to message #553628] Mon, 07 May 2012 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LNossov
1. you wasn't careful enough with your testcase. So I had to correct it,
2. because of long output I changed your sql,
3. it is my result:

SQL> @andrey
SQL> set echo on
SQL> 
SQL> set linesize 1000
SQL> set pagesize 1000
SQL> 
SQL> drop table testcase;
drop table testcase
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

SQL> 
SQL> --create the table for the testcase
SQL> 
SQL>  create table testcase
  2   (id number, name varchar(15));

Table created.

SQL> 
SQL> --fill it with data
SQL> 
SQL> begin
  2  for i in 1..50000 loop
  3  insert into testcase values
  4  (i, 'name' || i);
  5  end loop;
  6  end;
  7  /

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

SQL> 
SQL> commit;

Commit complete.

SQL> 
SQL> --set statistics level to all:
SQL> 
SQL> alter session
  2  set statistics_level = all;

Session altered.

SQL> 
SQL> --run the query:
SQL> 
SQL> select count(*) from testcase;

COUNT(*)
----------

SQL> 
SQL> select * from table(dbms_xplan.display_cursor('', '' , 'all allstats advanced'));

PLAN_TABLE_OUTPUT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL_ID  f4wzjckg705zs, child number 0
-------------------------------------
select count(*) from testcase

Plan hash value: 3221245523

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Id  | Operation          | Name     | Starts | E-Rows | Cost (%CPU)| E-Time   | A-Rows |   A-Time   | Buffers |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT   |          |      1 |        |    40 (100)|          |      1 |00:00:00.01 |     141 |
|   1 |  SORT AGGREGATE    |          |      1 |      1 |            |          |      1 |00:00:00.01 |     141 |
|   2 |   TABLE ACCESS FULL| TESTCASE |      1 |  53169 |    40   (3)| 00:00:01 |  50000 |00:00:00.01 |     141 |

Query Block Name / Object Alias (identified by operation id):
-------------------------------------------------------------

1 - SEL$1
   2 - SEL$1 / TESTCASE@SEL$1

Outline Data
-------------

/*+
      BEGIN_OUTLINE_DATA
      IGNORE_OPTIM_EMBEDDED_HINTS
      OPTIMIZER_FEATURES_ENABLE('11.2.0.3')
      DB_VERSION('11.2.0.3')
      ALL_ROWS
      OUTLINE_LEAF(@"SEL$1")
      FULL(@"SEL$1" "TESTCASE"@"SEL$1")
      END_OUTLINE_DATA
  */

Column Projection Information (identified by operation id):
-----------------------------------------------------------

1 - (#keys=0) COUNT(*)[22]

Note
-----
   - dynamic sampling used for this statement (level=2)

43 rows selected.

SQL> 
SQL> select * from table(dbms_xplan.display_cursor('f4wzjckg705zs', 0 , 'all allstats advanced'));

PLAN_TABLE_OUTPUT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL_ID  f4wzjckg705zs, child number 0
-------------------------------------
select count(*) from testcase

Plan hash value: 3221245523

| Id  | Operation          | Name     | Starts | E-Rows | Cost (%CPU)| E-Time   | A-Rows |   A-Time   | Buffers |
|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT   |          |      1 |        |    40 (100)|          |      1 |00:00:00.01 |     141 |
|   1 |  SORT AGGREGATE    |          |      1 |      1 |            |          |      1 |00:00:00.01 |     141 |
|   2 |   TABLE ACCESS FULL| TESTCASE |      1 |  53169 |    40   (3)| 00:00:01 |  50000 |00:00:00.01 |     141 |

Query Block Name / Object Alias (identified by operation id):
-------------------------------------------------------------

1 - SEL$1
   2 - SEL$1 / TESTCASE@SEL$1

Outline Data
-------------

/*+
      BEGIN_OUTLINE_DATA
      IGNORE_OPTIM_EMBEDDED_HINTS
      OPTIMIZER_FEATURES_ENABLE('11.2.0.3')
      DB_VERSION('11.2.0.3')
      ALL_ROWS
      OUTLINE_LEAF(@"SEL$1")
      FULL(@"SEL$1" "TESTCASE"@"SEL$1")
      END_OUTLINE_DATA
  */

Column Projection Information (identified by operation id):
-----------------------------------------------------------

1 - (#keys=0) COUNT(*)[22]

Note
-----
   - dynamic sampling used for this statement (level=2)

43 rows selected.

SQL> 
SQL> drop table testcase;

Table dropped.

SQL> 
SQL> exit

I don't see any problem. You too Wink ?

[Updated on: Mon, 07 May 2012 06:54]

Re: cannot see a-rows while querying dbms_xplan.display_cursor [message #553635 is a reply to message #553628] Mon, 07 May 2012 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrey_R
Hi all,

I think I've found the problem for this particular scenario.

I didn't see A-ROWS because it wasn't inputted in the plan table in the first place.
if you want A-ROWS to be inputted in the plan table - alter session set statistics_level = all is not enough.

Only after running the query with a hint of /*+ gather_plan_statistics */ - I got the A-ROWS in the plan table.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the problem is with a very heavy query. it runs for about a minute or so.
when i run it - it probably doesn't yet have data for A-ROWS, which makes sense.

however, as it finishes - the plan table for this sql_id is somehow emptied of data.
I observed what appears to be a short window of time between running the query,
Identifying it's sql_id and querying the plan table for it.

1. Does anyone have an explanation for this?
2. Anyone knows how to somehow "retain" the data of a plan table for a particular sql_id?

Regards,
Andrey

Re: cannot see a-rows while querying dbms_xplan.display_cursor [message #553645 is a reply to message #553635] Mon, 07 May 2012 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LNossov
Quote:
if you want A-ROWS to be inputted in the plan table - alter session set statistics_level = all is not enough

It is absolutely enough!

Quote:
the problem is with a very heavy query. it runs for about a minute or so.
when i run it - it probably doesn't yet have data for A-ROWS, which makes sense.

however, as it finishes - the plan table for this sql_id is somehow emptied of data.

You make something wrong. For running query you should get 0 for all sql plan stats. After finishing you will get correct stats.

If you start your sql manually, then you can do the following:

1. make the following settings

set linesize 1000
set pagesize 1000

2. then run

alter session set statistics_level=all;

3. then run your sql,
4. after that run the following select:

select plan_table_output from table ( sys.dbms_xplan.display_cursor( '','','ADVANCED ALLSTATS LAST'));
Re: cannot see a-rows while querying dbms_xplan.display_cursor [message #553647 is a reply to message #553645] Mon, 07 May 2012 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrey_R
Dear LNossov

1).
first of all,
Thank you for your replies and wanting to help.

you are right:
alter session set statistics_level = all is enough to see A-ROWS, my mistake.

2).
The reason i didn't see A-ROWS was because first i queried the plan table while it was still executing,
and then i DID see something - estimated rows, but not yet ACTUAL rows.
that is what got me confused.

then, when i queried the plan table again AFTER query has finished running -
- query got an error, because data in plan table was no longer valid.

3).
what i observed is that there is a time window of a few seconds between finishing of the query run and losing the data in the explain table.
I asked whether i can control it to retain the data in the plan table for some more time.

Does anybody know the answer to this question?

Regards,
Andrey

[Updated on: Mon, 07 May 2012 09:28]

Re: cannot see a-rows while querying dbms_xplan.display_cursor [message #553650 is a reply to message #553647] Mon, 07 May 2012 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LNossov
You didn't answer, if you start your sql manually.
Re: cannot see a-rows while querying dbms_xplan.display_cursor [message #553651 is a reply to message #553650] Mon, 07 May 2012 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrey_R
I assume it will work, but this is not longer the question, as i stated previously.

the question is how to retain data of plan table.

I don't want to wait 5 minutes(heavy query) with my eyes on the screen,
so I can catch the plan_table content before it disappears.

Regards,
Andrey
Re: cannot see a-rows while querying dbms_xplan.display_cursor [message #553652 is a reply to message #553650] Mon, 07 May 2012 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LNossov
I see, you start the sql manually in SQL*Plus. In this case you don't need to search the cursor in v$sql. Instead of that you can get your execution plan by calling

select plan_table_output from table ( sys.dbms_xplan.display_cursor( '','','ADVANCED ALLSTATS LAST'));

as I described for you.

I suppose, you make a mistake at searching in v$sql.

Take in account my suggestion please. Or you will run into problems further.
Re: cannot see a-rows while querying dbms_xplan.display_cursor [message #553653 is a reply to message #553651] Mon, 07 May 2012 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LNossov
You will lose quickly execution plan in v$sql_plan, if your shared pool is too small and / or the traffic in shared pool is too big. But I don't think, that you have this case. Rather your search in v$sql isn't correct.
Re: cannot see a-rows while querying dbms_xplan.display_cursor [message #553655 is a reply to message #553653] Mon, 07 May 2012 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrey_R
No, I am not making a mistake - I can see my query clearly in the plan table,
and seconds after i do not see it anymore.

Your explanation about the shared pool might be the answer.

Thank you.

[Updated on: Mon, 07 May 2012 10:49]

Re: cannot see a-rows while querying dbms_xplan.display_cursor [message #662863 is a reply to message #553633] Sun, 14 May 2017 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firoj_m
HI- How did you get elapsed time in mil sec.
I am using oracle 11g for me its displaying in seconds.
I need to perform micro tuning where mil sec matter.
any idea how to change this time format of explain plan's A-Row
Re: cannot see a-rows while querying dbms_xplan.display_cursor [message #662870 is a reply to message #662863] Sun, 14 May 2017 07:18 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
firoj_m wrote on Sun, 14 May 2017 02:41
HI- How did you get elapsed time in mil sec.
I am using oracle 11g for me its displaying in seconds.
I need to perform micro tuning where mil sec matter.
any idea how to change this time format of explain plan's A-Row
Can't be done since DATE datatype is used & only has granularity to whole seconds.
IMO, micro tuning is an exercise in futility.
Previous Topic: How to identify index type for partitioned tables
Next Topic: Same query runs way better in 10g than in 12c
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 14:07:29 CDT 2024