Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » restoring from dbf (Oracle 10G Express, Linux)
restoring from dbf [message #514055] Fri, 01 July 2011 02:11 Go to next message
kk-ksfe
Hi,

I have a 10G Express system running. I Have 2 tablespaces in production.

WHen taking backup, it terminates unsuccessfully saying system01.dbf is damaged.

The application works fine and no data loss is found through the application interface.

So can I shift the data to a new server using the dbf files of the tablespaces in use?
Re: restoring from dbf [message #514058 is a reply to message #514055] Fri, 01 July 2011 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
So can I shift the data to a new server using the dbf files of the tablespaces in use?

No as one of the files is corrupted it does not change anything you move it into another server and you cannot move dbf from a database without moving its associated system files.
You have to restore and recover from a previous backup (assuming you are in archived log mode).

Regards
Michel
Re: restoring from dbf [message #514170 is a reply to message #514058] Sat, 02 July 2011 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kk-ksfe
No cold backups available.
No Archive log.
But the application works fine.
What should be the approach that I should take to transfer the data to a new server?
Re: restoring from dbf [message #514203 is a reply to message #514170] Sat, 02 July 2011 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Find where is the corruption, which object it impacts (if it impacts aby).

Regards
Michel
Re: restoring from dbf [message #514257 is a reply to message #514203] Sun, 03 July 2011 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yasir Hashmi
Even if you find the corruption, you won't be able to recover it as you have no backup and the tablespace in question is a system tablespace.
Even if your application is working fine, it might come to a halt.
If you want a corruption free database, take export of the database, drop the database ,create a new database,create additional tablespaces and users,import backup the data and immedialtely take a valid RMAN backup.
Schedule backups to ensure complete recoverabilty.
This seems to be the only option at the momemt.
Re: restoring from dbf [message #514258 is a reply to message #514257] Sun, 03 July 2011 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Even if you find the corruption, you won't be able to recover it as you have no backup and the tablespace in question is a system tablespace.

It depends where the corruption happened. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't.

Quote:
If you want a corruption free database, take export of the database, drop the database ,create a new database,create additional tablespaces and users,import backup the data and immedialtely take a valid RMAN backup.

First check where the corruption happened, i might be useless to do all of this.

Regards
Michel

Re: restoring from dbf [message #514259 is a reply to message #514258] Sun, 03 July 2011 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yasir Hashmi
When the corruption is in the system tablespace, what else can we check?
Is there any way to recover system tablespace corruption without any backup?
Re: restoring from dbf [message #514260 is a reply to message #514259] Sun, 03 July 2011 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
When the corruption is in the system tablespace, what else can we check?

Which object, if any, is impacted by the corruption.

Quote:
Is there any way to recover system tablespace corruption without any backup?

Theorically, if you have all archived logs since the CREATE DATABASE it might be possible, maybe in a complex way, but I never checked, if I have some time I will test it.
But I repeat, when you have a corruption, the first to do is to check what is impacted by the corruption, maybe nothing.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Sun, 03 July 2011 04:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: restoring from dbf [message #514745 is a reply to message #514260] Wed, 06 July 2011 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kk-ksfe
The problem I face is that the export (using exp) not working. How can I export data then?
Re: restoring from dbf [message #514747 is a reply to message #514745] Wed, 06 July 2011 04:28 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Michel Cadot wrote on Sat, 02 July 2011 17:54
Find where is the corruption, which object it impacts (if it impacts any).

[quote title=Michel Cadot wrote on Sun, 03 July 2011 10:20]Quote:
First check where the corruption happened, i might be useless to do all of this.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Why RMAN wait for a long time??
Next Topic: MISSING FILES - just need some guidance to be sure
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:44:50 CDT 2024