Home » Other » General » Oracle 11g R2 - New Features (11.2)
Oracle 11g R2 - New Features [message #424972] Tue, 06 October 2009 18:38
rleishman
New features that caught my eye in 11.2:
  • IGNORE_ROW_ON_DUPKEY_INDEX Hint for INSERT Statement. How many times have you wanted to INSERT INTO ... AS SELECT and discard duplicates? Sure you can do it with MERGE, but this is cooler.
  • LISTAGG aggregate function. Finally the CONCAT_ALL function has become a buitin!
  • Recursive WITH Clause - bit scary, but the last bastion of SQL limitations may be broken. CONNECT BY and MODEL gave us some freaky non-intuitive iterative capabilities in SQL; but recursive!! I can't wait.
  • Preprocessing Data for ORACLE_LOADER Access Driver in External Tables - Run a custom filter program (like gunzip) over your datafile as it is sucked into the Externally Organized Table.
  • DBMS_PARALLEL_EXECUTE - Looks like the ROWID RANGE technique of busting up big UPDATEs or DELETEs has gone parallel and builtin at the same time.
  • DBMS_SCHEDULER now has a File Watcher capability that polls for files arriving in a directory.

Disclaimer: These are just my interpretations from a quick scan of the New Features guide. I may have mis-interpreted the capabilities.

Ross Leishman
Previous Topic: Oracle database database backuu
Next Topic: Change managment in oracle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:27:53 CDT 2024