Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Data Guard Implementation (Oracle 10.2.0.1.0 - Linux)
Data Guard Implementation [message #375960] Mon, 15 December 2008 08:16 Go to next message
danyromimd
Hi!
I have already tried implementing Data Guard in testing servers. Now I'm about to implement Data Guard in the production servers. Is there any way to implement it without stoping the application service? I mean... I know there are things that should be done with the primary database down, but as I'm rather new in Oracle, maybe there's a solution to avoid having to spend a weekend at work.
Thanks a lot!
Daniela.
Re: Data Guard Implementation [message #376562 is a reply to message #375960] Wed, 17 December 2008 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
If your database is not in archivelog mode, then you'll need to restart your database to place it in archivelog mode; otherwise, a restart shouldn't be required.

Check Manually Create a Physical Standby Database Using Data Guard for complete details.
Re: Data Guard Implementation [message #376721 is a reply to message #376562] Thu, 18 December 2008 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
danyromimd
But... when it's time to copy datafiles, logs, etc. to the standby ... shouldn't the primary database be down?
I thought I could bring this files from backup and then apply the necesary logs to avoid shutting down the DB... but there are other things such as creating the control file for the standby DB that has to be done with the database down. So... I'm in a mess!!!
Is it right what I'm pointing out?
Re: Data Guard Implementation [message #376741 is a reply to message #376721] Thu, 18 December 2008 07:27 Go to previous message
ebrian
You'll only need to shutdown the primary if you are creating the standby via a cold backup. Otherwise, once you have the primary database in archivelog mode, you can generate a backup via RMAN and a controlfile backup for the standby and use this for creation of the standby.

The first link I provided showed creation via a cold backup. Check Creating a Standby Database with Recovery Manager for the full details of using RMAN and a hot backup to create a standby.
Previous Topic: Standby testing
Next Topic: Data Guard Broker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:14:42 CDT 2024