Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Blank space insertion into a Database field of VARCHAR2(1)
Blank space insertion into a Database field of VARCHAR2(1) [message #370592] Tue, 04 January 2000 03:27 Go to next message
Ajay Madan
Hi !!

My application is on Oracle8i with Forms6.0. I have a Database Block which is based on the base Table which has a Delete Flag field with declaration - VARCHAR2(1) NOT NULL. This field is not displayed on the canvas. My application requires that I initialize this field with a single Blank space and then insert into the database. But whether directly or thru another variable I am not able to initialize and insert this value into the database. The table or the form variable does not accept this value at all. But In SQL. I am able to insert the record into the Database by giving a ' ' as value for the delete flag field. But I am not able to do the same using forms.

Can you help me out with this? How do I initialize this field with a single blank space?

Thanks and Regards,

Ajay

ajay_madan@usa.net
Re: Blank space insertion into a Database field of VARCHAR2(1) [message #370622 is a reply to message #370592] Tue, 11 January 2000 07:22 Go to previous message
Sean Miller
If you put a blank space into the field, then to all intents and purposes it's NULL.

Therefore, I would suggest you remove the NOT NULL constraint. Either that or instead of a space initially populate with a '.' or something.

An alternative would be to possibly declare as a CHAR rather than a VARCHAR, this might work, though I have difficulty understanding why you'd populate a NOT NULL column with a blank value in the first place.

Sean
Previous Topic: Query a few rows in one
Next Topic: Re: Newbie - '&' in PL/SQL
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:08:16 CDT 2024