Home » Other » Training & Certification » Undo (Oracle 10g, Release 2)
Undo [message #358141] Sun, 09 November 2008 03:58 Go to next message
abuzayd
Hi,
I'm just going through the undo management lesson in the oracle hand book and thought i should practise what was thought. This is the scenario i thought up and practised but it did not work.
I carried out a DML on a table (DELETE jobs_acquisition).
I then stopped the listener and restarted it to try and see if the will roll back the change as i had not committed it, but nothing happened
What action can i carry out to see the effect of the undo please. I'm thinking of shutting down the database (using immediate). Will that be OK?
Please your posts will be of great help. Thank you.
Re: Undo [message #358143 is a reply to message #358141] Sun, 09 November 2008 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Listener comes into play ONLY at connection time.
Kill the session for instance if you want it to rollback or just use "rollback".

Quote:
What action can i carry out to see the effect of the undo

What do you EXACTLY means with this?

Regards
Michel

Re: Undo [message #358147 is a reply to message #358143] Sun, 09 November 2008 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abuzayd
i dont know if the rollback you mentioned has answered my question - I'm yet to try it.

what i meant is what action can i take on the database to notice trigger the undo into action (so to say) i.e assuming i use the rollback (like u mentioned), will it trigger it. or if i shutdown the database suddenly and then i reload it, will it undo my uncommited transactions.

I hope it is clearer now.

thanks
Re: Undo [message #358149 is a reply to message #358147] Sun, 09 November 2008 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
What is "undo into action"? What do you mean with this?
Explain what you understand to "undo" then we can help you.

Regards
Michel
Re: Undo [message #358155 is a reply to message #358149] Sun, 09 November 2008 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abuzayd
Michel Cadot wrote on Sun, 09 November 2008 15:36
What is "undo into action"? What do you mean with this?
Explain what you understand to "undo" then we can help you.

Regards
Michel

Sorry about my grammer ("undo into action")

Actually, i just want to know how the undo works.

I know that it is for rolling back uncommited transactions.

I want to know under what conditions will it happen. Assuming i shutdown the database without committing a change (say an update), when i restart it will the undo cause the change i made to roll back? thats just the basic question. i guess i did not phrase it well (my bad).

Thanks
Re: Undo [message #358158 is a reply to message #358155] Sun, 09 November 2008 14:44 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I want to know under what conditions will it happen.

Anytime roll back needs to be done.

Quote:
Assuming i shutdown the database without committing a change (say an update), when i restart it will the undo cause the change i made to roll back?

Oracle uses the undo information to roll back the uncommitted changes.

Regards
Michel

Previous Topic: Oracle Architecture
Next Topic: plsql topics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:46:49 CDT 2024