Home » Other » Training & Certification » Need to know about some knowledge for Unix and Shell scripting
Need to know about some knowledge for Unix and Shell scripting [message #636973] Wed, 06 May 2015 20:46 Go to next message
shumail
Hi Gurus

When I look into job posting for PL/SQL programmer then I usually see that along with PL/SQL you should have Unix and shell basic knowledge.

My question is that What type of knowledge they want for us?. I think they need Unix and shell scripting knowledge in context with PL/SQL.

Your guidance would be highly appreciated. Thanks
Re: Need to know about some knowledge for Unix and Shell scripting [message #637002 is a reply to message #636973] Thu, 07 May 2015 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>My question is that What type of knowledge they want for us?. I think they need Unix and shell scripting knowledge in context with PL/SQL.
Correct.
You need to be conversant at OS level
Re: Need to know about some knowledge for Unix and Shell scripting [message #637022 is a reply to message #636973] Thu, 07 May 2015 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matthewmorris68

Quote:
My question is that What type of knowledge they want for us?

It depends on the job. Knowing how to integrate shell scripting and PL/SQL can sometimes be very valuable. One company I worked with several years ago had an incredibly manual and time-consuming process of archiving customer data. Data for dozens of customers had to be archived each month and the DBAs were exporting the info, then manually burning to DVD. The DVDs then had to be marked and stored for (IIRC) two years. If the schemas had to be restored (which happened several times a year), the DBA would have to search through dozens of DVDs to find the right one, then manually re-import the data.

I wrote a procedure that combined PL/SQL and shell scripting to export the schemas automatically, copy the dump files to a 1TB USB drive (which was quite large for the time) then remove the tables in the database. The name of the drives and file locations were stored in a table in the database and linked to that customer and month. If the data needed to be recovered, an Apex application would indicate which drive needed to be put in place (if it was not already the one currently in use). Once it was connected, the files would be pulled from the USB drive and the recovery performed automatically.

Being able to use PL/SQL to handle the in-database operations and interact with a shell script that performed the OS-level operations allowed me to convert a task that consumed hundreds of DBA man-hours annually into something that took just a few minutes a week.

Alternately, as Blackswan said, companies may simply want you to have some general awareness about working in a Linux environment. I would say that knowing something about at least one scripting language would be valuable. Whether that language is a shell script or a more generic on like Perl or Python is a coin toss. I wrote an article on the topic some time ago for CertMag -- although it was targeted more at DBAs:

http://certmag.com/script-script-question-dbas/
Re: Need to know about some knowledge for Unix and Shell scripting [message #637121 is a reply to message #637022] Mon, 11 May 2015 01:56 Go to previous message
shumail
Thank you very much for your replies...
Previous Topic: canceled Amazon order - Steve O'Hearn is too slow - Exam 1Z0-883 - Oracle Press - study guide
Next Topic: OCP Upgrade to Oracle Database 12c Exam Guide (Exam 1Z0-060)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:29:43 CDT 2024