Home » Open Source » Programming Interfaces » Interfacing with UPS WorldShip (9i)
Interfacing with UPS WorldShip [message #325039] Wed, 04 June 2008 21:19 Go to next message
adzikiewicz
Hello All,

I have a situation where I am trying to map data from our Oracle database to UPS worldship version 10. The issue is that we want to do a keyed import. This is basically an odbc connection to our database. The UPS worldship takes forever to connect to the Oracle database. I dont know what it is doing, but if I used the same odbc set up to connect excel, it works much quicker. The issue has something to do with the way UPS is communicating to Oracle and not really an Oracle problem. Once it is connected, the transaction do process quickly. On the other hand, if we are doing an odbc update after the packages processes - back to the database it takes about the same time as it does to make the initial connection.

I get the same results on 6 different machines and i have tried lots of variations withing the odbc parms.

I just thought I would ask the question here to see if anyone had any clues or has already overcome this issue.

Thanks
Anthony
Re: Interfacing with UPS WorldShip [message #346006 is a reply to message #325039] Fri, 05 September 2008 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
carlskr
Hey Anthony,
Saw your message on this forum after a Google search. We are experiencing the same issue, although we still have Worldship V9.
(At least I know upgrading to 10 probably won't help).

I am ready to call Oracle tech support - not sure how that will go. When we first go to keyed import to connect, it takes about 3 hours to connect and get the key entry window.

Also found that trying to define a new map, I get the same delay when it first tries to connect, and this is before doing any mapping to db tables/columns, so it seems it is some problem with Worldship and the ODBC connection.

Have you figured this out since your posting?

Re: Interfacing with UPS WorldShip [message #346015 is a reply to message #346006] Fri, 05 September 2008 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dzikiewicz
I have not gotten anywhere with this issue. Please forward any help that you may get. I have been contacted to see if I had found a solution by others. I believe this is something that the worldship developers are aware of, but just are not responsive to fixing.
Anthony
Re: Interfacing with UPS WorldShip [message #348992 is a reply to message #346015] Thu, 18 September 2008 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tubbsbill
From what we've figured out, WorldShip is apparently getting the entire list of tables, columns, etc. So, what a predecessor of mine did was to:
1) create a specific Oracle user for the UPS stations to use
2) create a table in that user's schema called ALL_OBJECTS mirroring the SYS's ALL_OBJECTS view, and copy data from SYS.ALL_OBJECTS into this new table for only those tables/views that you want UPS to import/export from/to.
3) repeat step 2 for ALL_SYNONYMS, ALL_TABLES, and ALL_TAB_COLUMNS

Bill
Re: Interfacing with UPS WorldShip [message #349010 is a reply to message #348992] Thu, 18 September 2008 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dzikiewicz
Thanks for the info

I will give this a try

Anthony
Re: Interfacing with UPS WorldShip [message #354876 is a reply to message #349010] Tue, 21 October 2008 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SpringOracle
Anthony,

Did you have any luck with Bill's suggestion? I created tables from the 4 views he specified within the schema of the user we created specifically for Worldship, but no luck. Perhaps there was a system view/table that was missed that Worldship "needs to see" to function properly?
Re: Interfacing with UPS WorldShip [message #354892 is a reply to message #354876] Tue, 21 October 2008 20:06 Go to previous message
adzikiewicz
I had a dba do this for us. At first we just set up the UPS user and granted access to only the tables that we needed to map to. This didnt work. Then we created the tables and such as described in the instructions. Once he created the all_tables, etc... and populated it with only the views that we need to map to, everything worked fine. I dont think there is anything more to it than that. So, if you go into something like Toad logged in as the Worldship user open a schema browser and see what data is in the ALL_TABLES, etc.. If it all looks good, Im not sure what else could be wrong
Anthony
Previous Topic: problem with VB6, ODBC, Access, ORACLE 9i, UNIX
Next Topic: Performance issue using OLE DB, need alternatives
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:07:58 CDT 2024