Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » dba_tables.container_data (DB 12.1.x)
dba_tables.container_data [message #621701] Sat, 16 August 2014 10:45 Go to next message
John Watson
This column is the last column in the %_TABLES views. In the CDB I happen to be working on, it is always set to NO:
cdba>
cdba> alter session set container=cdb$root;

Session altered.

cdba> select container_Data,count(*) from cdb_tables group by container_data;

CON   COUNT(*)
--- ----------
NO        9271

cdba>
The docs says this,Quote:
Indicates whether the table contains container-specific data. Possible values:
YES if the table was created with the CONTAINER_DATA clause
NO otherwise
but I can find no explanation of this clause. Any ideas? Perhaps a way of creating shared tables? I've had a look through ?/rdbms/admin, but I can't find any example of it being used.

Thank you for any insight.
Re: dba_tables.container_data [message #621717 is a reply to message #621701] Sat, 16 August 2014 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

It could be something that Oracle has in mind to implement but does not yet exist.
Just like the edition in 11.1. You have the ORA$BASE edition and many edition views like DBA_EDITIONS but when you try to execute CREATE EDITION you get an error as the command does not exist:
SQB> @v

Version Oracle : 11.1.0.6.0

SQB> select * from dba_editions;
EDITION_NAME                   PARENT_EDITION_NAME            USA
------------------------------ ------------------------------ ---
ORA$BASE                                                      YES

1 row selected.

SQB> CREATE EDITION michel;
CREATE EDITION michel
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00901: invalid CREATE command

Maybe we have to wait for 12.2. Smile

[Updated on: Sat, 16 August 2014 12:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: dba_tables.container_data [message #621780 is a reply to message #621717] Mon, 18 August 2014 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Thank you for replying. Perhaps that is all it is. I was hoping that someone might have reverse engineered something amazing.
Re: dba_tables.container_data [message #621787 is a reply to message #621701] Mon, 18 August 2014 06:48 Go to previous message
Lalit Kumar B
After looking at your post, I spent 2 hours reading the docs about the CONTAINER_DATA clause. I found very little information, and NO examples at all. About the CONTAINER_DATA clause, I couldn't find it's attributes explained anywhere.

From docs,

Quote:
These attributes determine the set of containers (which can never exclude the root) whose data will be visible via CONTAINER_DATA objects to the specified common user when the current session is the root.

So, it means, the current session container should be CDB$ROOT if we want the changes for a user to be reflected across entire CDB. Else, if current container is a PDB, we can set the attributes for a common user specific only to local PDB. So all that is explained is about "which container name to specify".

For example, I have a user 'A' in CDB, let's say current container is root CDB$ROOT, the alter user statement required to set the container data attributes for user 'A would look something like this :

alter user 'A' set container_data = ALL for schema.object_name; -- container name is ALL since user is in CDB$ROOT

So, finally this is what I conclude with limited understanding : User 'A' will now be able to access the data belonging to the containers that we have set him to via alter statement.

Did I try doing all this myself? Yes, but I keep getting errors for which I am reading further Sad
Previous Topic: Help about Log file Oracle
Next Topic: what is the procedure to select mysql database data from oracle 11g
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:36:50 CDT 2024