Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » How to verify a server (11.2.0.2.0 , SunOS 5.10)
How to verify a server [message #618819] Tue, 15 July 2014 22:33 Go to next message
suhasdba
Hi,

How to verify the server i logged is a Standalone server?
Could you help me on this ?

Re: How to verify a server [message #618820 is a reply to message #618819] Tue, 15 July 2014 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
https://community.oracle.com/thread/3583881
Re: How to verify a server [message #618822 is a reply to message #618819] Tue, 15 July 2014 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trantuananh24hg
suhasdba wrote on Wed, 16 July 2014 03:33
Hi,

How to verify the server i logged is a Standalone server?
Could you help me on this ?

How do you define Stand-alone server?
Re: How to verify a server [message #618824 is a reply to message #618822] Tue, 15 July 2014 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suhasdba
Hi Blackswan,

It was a good link to start with.Thanks!

Hi trantuananh,
Quote:
How do you define Stand-alone server?

Frankly speaking,I am new to standalone and do not have knowledge on Standalone server.
If you can refer me some link,with that i will start gaining some knowledge about standalone server.Thanks!

Regards,
Srini

[Updated on: Tue, 15 July 2014 23:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to verify a server [message #618825 is a reply to message #618824] Tue, 15 July 2014 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trantuananh24hg
suhasdba wrote on Wed, 16 July 2014 04:04

Frankly speaking,I am new to standalone and do not have knowledge on Standalone server.
If you can refer me some link,with that i will start gaining some knowledge about standalone server.Thanks!

Regards,
Srini

Maybe, my term is not like you or many people. So, give up if you wanna don't like.

As SystemAdmin, the Stand-Alone Server must contains physical resources such as Internal Disks, NIC, MB (Mainboard), Physical Memory, and does not share them to each other. I work with many platform, entry-level to enterprise system, VM, so, I do not call any shared resource as Stand-Alone-Server.

As DBA, Oracle define Stand-Alone must contain only one instance, one thread, one UNDOTBS, ... It's Independent Instance, it may be Primary in HA (GG, DataGuard, AdvancedReplication, ...) but not also Oracle RAC. The Cluster (OS Cluster, Database Cluster) requires many thing to satisfy (Shared-Storage, Shared-File-System, Private Network/Public Network/Virtual Network, ...), you can refer to Linux Clustering if you wanna like Linux. Remmeber, Linux Clustering includes 2 term, one is really Cluster, one is shared-network using multipathing. Do not confuse between them.

And, how do you define Stand-Alone-Server as yours? Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 15 July 2014 23:29]

Re: How to verify a server [message #618826 is a reply to message #618825] Tue, 15 July 2014 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suhasdba
Quote:
And, how do you define Stand-Alone-Server as yours?

Well that was a very good explanation about Standalone server.Thanks for that.In my perspective,
standalone is one man army ( i.e single instance database ) that can do things of its own and do not have dependencies on servers. Smile
I hope i am correct.

One more question .How to verify the server i logged in is ha/os cluster ?

Regards,
Srini

[Updated on: Tue, 15 July 2014 23:47]

Re: How to verify a server [message #618837 is a reply to message #618826] Wed, 16 July 2014 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trantuananh24hg
suhasdba wrote on Wed, 16 July 2014 04:42

One more question .How to verify the server i logged in is ha/os cluster ?

HA is HA, Cluster is Cluster. The HA term defines High Avaiblity in which, many architecture are issued: DataGuard, GoldenGate, RAC ... (in only Oracle).

What's Clustering? Exactly, what is computer cluster? what is Oracle cluster, what is OS cluster? You can search by Google. Example

Quote:

"Cluster" is an ambiguous term in computer industry. Depending on the vendor and specific contexts, a cluster may refer to wide a variety of environments. In computers, clustering is the use of multiple computers, typically PCs or UNIX workstations, multiple storage devices, and redundant interconnections, to form what appears to users as a single highly available system. Cluster computing can be used for load balancing as well as for high availability. Advocates of clustering suggest that the approach can help an enterprise achieve 99.999 availability in some cases. One of the main ideas of cluster computing is that, to the outside world, the cluster appears to be a single system. Clustering is the use of multiple computers to provide a single service. Load Balancing is a technique to use multiple computers in a cluster. Therefore in a nutshell, load balancing implements a computer cluster.

OS clustering (aka hardware clustering) is designed to manage hardware and os-level failures. These typically work by starting a backup server when a primary fails in such a way that it fully assumes the role of the primary. Failover generally involves re-assigning the failed server IP-Address to the backup (IP-takeover), re-permissioning file system access to the backup (if using a shared file system instead of replication) , and then running a script that you setup yourself to startup all your applications. This technology is older, takes more time to perform a failover, and is less able to fully utilize all of your hardware resources.

OS clustering gives you the following advantages:
If you have a bunch of applications which must run on the same machine, OS clustering can ensure that all these must run on the primary node in the cluster.
If your applications are dependant on "local file system" like databases need to manage their files locally - the os cluster can ensure that this file system fails over with the primary node of the cluster.
If you dont have a NAS or a file server, and you need a shared file store, you can create a share file store on the OS cluster for use by machines outside the cluster. Of course if you have a file server or are storing information in a database, then its not valid.

Original link: https://sites.google.com/a/elixirtech.com/wiki/repertoireserver/deployment/scalability/cluster

Or read at: http://www.codestore.net/help/help6_admin.nsf/0/8fc56d02d24d9c7e85256c1d00399979?OpenDocument

However, any clustering architecture must be satisfied a concept: simultaneously. Access into a block together, responsive to network together, reply to client together simultaneously...etc.

Now, said you that wonder whenever access to one machine is Stand-Alone or Clustering?
I answer: Depend.

An clustering must contains hardware: at least 2 NICs, at least 1 HBA, at least one shared-storage. Due to your eyes at hardware in RACK, you will consider or think they might be at Clustering. But, one or more Stand-Alone-Server can contains those hard-ware, it's not Clustering because they're not configured by Clustering software. One stand-alone-server can access to share-storage or connect to SanSwitch by HBA or RJ45 but this only is Application which does not clustering for Application.

When connection succesfully to a machine, you will verify simply:

- OS Cluster: By Command
- Oracle RAC: By Command

Example:
Linux Cluster:

# rpm -q redhat-config-cluster
# rpm -q clumanager
# 

or
# clustat
# clustat -m <member>        Display status of <member> and exit
# clustat -s <service>            Display status of <service> and exit
# clustat -l                               Use long format for services

# cman_tool status                 Show local record of cluster status
# cman_tool nodes                  Show local record of cluster nodes
# cman_tool nodes -af

# ccs_tool lsnode                     List nodes
# ccs_tool lsfence                    List fence devices

# group_tool                           displays the status of fence, dlm and gfs groups
# group_tool ls                       displays the list of groups and their membership

http://www.netfibre.com/?p=522

Solaris Cluster:
Quote:

# cluster status

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19787-01/820-7358/chdifccg/index.html

Oracle Cluster:
- 10g, 11gr1
oracle@n1$ crs_stat
oracle@n1$ crsctl check crs

CSS appears healthy
CRS appears healthy
EVM appears healthy

11gr2
grid@n1$ crsctl check cluster -all 

Many ways to verify Smile

For Oracle only, some tips to use:
- Check profile
- Check daemon service
- Verify inittab

For OS only:
- Check local resource and shared-partitions
- Check service daemon (Solaris), rawdevice-service (Linux)
- Verify init

And, what's more question do you want? Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 16 July 2014 01:28]

Re: How to verify a server [message #618839 is a reply to message #618819] Wed, 16 July 2014 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

http://www.dba-village.com/village/dvp_forum.OpenThread?ThreadIdA=72441&SkipA=0

Re: How to verify a server [message #618849 is a reply to message #618839] Wed, 16 July 2014 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suhasdba
Thanks Trantuananh for explaining in detail and Michel for link.If required anything regards to cluster and standalone, will ask you again Razz

[Updated on: Wed, 16 July 2014 04:01]

Re: How to verify a server [message #618865 is a reply to message #618849] Wed, 16 July 2014 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suhasdba
Hi Trantuananh,

I want to drop some database from standalone server.Could you provide me the steps to drop database in standalone server.
Please let me know if you need any details.

Note :-- There are 3 databases configured in the server.Out of 3 databases,i want to drop one database from server.

Regards,
Suhas
Re: How to verify a server [message #618871 is a reply to message #618865] Wed, 16 July 2014 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/mv/msg/193427/618861/#msg_618861

Re: How to verify a server [message #618875 is a reply to message #618871] Wed, 16 July 2014 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suhasdba
Michel,

drop database;

Is 'drop database' command sufficient to drop database ?

Regards,
Suhas

[Updated on: Wed, 16 July 2014 04:35]

Re: How to verify a server [message #618879 is a reply to message #618875] Wed, 16 July 2014 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

It will drop all the database files (those in v$datafile, v$tempfile, v$logfile, v$controfile), it does not drop spfile, init.ora, alert.log, trace files and so on external to the database (even if related to it).

Re: How to verify a server [message #618908 is a reply to message #618879] Wed, 16 July 2014 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suhasdba
Michel,

I do not want to delete all the database files (those in v$datafile, v$tempfile, v$logfile, v$controfile)
because i want to delete only one database out of 3 databases on standalone server ( mentioned already above).

Based upon the links and explanations provided by Trantuananh and Michel,i have prepared the steps to
drop a particular database on standalone server.

Here are the steps:-

1.remove the database from the Grid control monitoring.
2.Stop the database using CRSCTL
crsctl stop resource orcl.db
3.Start the database in restrict mode and drop the database using 'drop database' command.
4.Remove the resource from the Cluster
./crsctl delete resource orcl.db
5.Remove the entry from /etc/oratab for the database to be decommissioned on node.
6.Remove the entry from the Listener.ora file for the database to be decommissioned.
7.Drop the diskgroup belong to the database to be decommissioned.(Please make sure it contains only the data
for that particular database)
alter diskgroup CFPMES_FRA dismount;
8.Drop the diskgroup
DROP DISKGROUP CFPMES_FRA INCLUDING CONTENTS;

I have few questions on step 7 for drop database on standalone server.

1.How to check the diskgroup belongs to particular database ?
2.Is it necessary to dismount the diskgroup before drop it ?

I request you to verify the above steps that i prepared for drop particular database on standalone database and confirm the same.
Please do the corrections if required.

Regards,
Suhas

[Updated on: Wed, 16 July 2014 08:00]

Re: How to verify a server [message #618909 is a reply to message #618908] Wed, 16 July 2014 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
I do not want to delete all the database files (those in v$datafile, v$tempfile, v$logfile, v$controfile)
because i want to delete only one database out of 3 databases on standalone server

DROP DATABASE deletes the files of the database you are currently connected on, it does not know anything about the other databases.

Quote:
1.How to check the diskgroup belongs to particular database ?

A diskgroup does not belong to a database; it can contains files owned by different databases (not a good practice).
It is like a tablespace does not belong to a user; it can contain objects owned by different users.

Quote:
2.Is it necessary to dismount the diskgroup before drop it ?

No.

Re: How to verify a server [message #618935 is a reply to message #618909] Wed, 16 July 2014 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suhasdba
Michel,
Quote:
A diskgroup does not belong to a database; it can contains files owned by different databases (not a good practice).

If it contains files of other databases , then how to implement step #7 ?
Quote:
7.Drop the diskgroup belong to the database to be decommissioned.(Please make sure it contains only the data for that particular database)

1.How to determine the diskgroup that belong to a particular database ?
2.Is it not required to drop diskgroup of database that i want to drop after i drop database ?

Regards,
Suhas

[Updated on: Wed, 16 July 2014 11:08]

Re: How to verify a server [message #618940 is a reply to message #618935] Wed, 16 July 2014 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
1.How to determine the diskgroup that belong to a particular database ?

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe because it is empty after the database is dropped.

Quote:

2.Is it not required to drop diskgroup of database that i want to drop after i drop database

Is it required to drop a tablespace after you drop a user?

It is just a matter of how you organize your diskgroups and only YOU can know if you have to drop some diskgroups or not.

Re: How to verify a server [message #618958 is a reply to message #618935] Wed, 16 July 2014 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trantuananh24hg
suhasdba wrote on Wed, 16 July 2014 16:06

Michel explained to you, a diskgroup might not belong to only database, so if you wonder, why do you check yourself? This is very simple.

Quote:
7.Drop the diskgroup belong to the database to be decommissioned.(Please make sure it contains only the data for that particular database)

1.How to determine the diskgroup that belong to a particular database?

There are some ways to find it, you should practice yourself through Oracle document rather than make a question at here.
A tip:

Normally, whenever create a diskgroup belong to a database, one alias directory will be created to a database. The directory which named by alias of database in ASM contains physical files.

Quote:

2.Is it not required to drop diskgroup of database that i want to drop after i drop database ?
Regards,
Suhas

You can, you can not, depend to your oraganization.
Re: How to verify a server [message #619040 is a reply to message #618958] Thu, 17 July 2014 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suhasdba
Hi trantuananh/Michel,

One more thing i want to mention here is the database storage we are using is 'file system'.
How to find out mount points related to particular database in standalone server?

Regards,
Srini
Re: How to verify a server [message #619044 is a reply to message #619040] Thu, 17 July 2014 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
df -h
Re: How to verify a server [message #619058 is a reply to message #619040] Thu, 17 July 2014 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Query v$datafile and compare the result with the one given by BlackSwan's command.

Re: How to verify a server [message #619078 is a reply to message #619058] Thu, 17 July 2014 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suhasdba
Hi Blackswan and Michel,

Thanks for your answer.Let me see if i can find mount points of database based on your answer.

Regards,
Suhas
Re: How to verify a server [message #619343 is a reply to message #619078] Mon, 21 July 2014 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suhasdba
Hi ,
I could find the mount points related to particular database using below command in standalone database.
cd02:none:/opt/ora117>bdf |grep DEMO1
                    516096  198548  297706   40% /oracle/DEMO1/redo1
                    516096  159802  334032   32% /oracle/DEMO1/redo2
                   65536000 34173056 31117928   52% /oracle/DEMO1/index
                   196608000 95723120 100096720   49% /oracle/DEMO1/data
                   104464384 80591296 23686624   77% /oracle/DEMO1/arch

Regards,
Suhas
Re: How to verify a server [message #619344 is a reply to message #619343] Mon, 21 July 2014 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suhasdba
Hi,
There are two basic methods of running operating system clusters, one is active-passive and the other one is active-active.
How to ensure that my os is configured with active-passive or active-active ?

Regards,
Suhas
Re: How to verify a server [message #619345 is a reply to message #619343] Mon, 21 July 2014 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Michel Cadot wrote on Thu, 17 July 2014 17:14

Query v$datafile and compare the result with the one given by BlackSwan's command.

Michel Cadot wrote on Wed, 16 July 2014 11:43

It will drop all the database files (those in v$datafile, v$tempfile, v$logfile, v$controfile), it does not drop spfile, init.ora, alert.log, trace files and so on external to the database (even if related to it).

Re: How to verify a server [message #619348 is a reply to message #619345] Mon, 21 July 2014 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suhasdba
Hi Michel,

Quote:

I will follow your guidelines.

<Since we both replied at sametime in this thread,i am again posting my previous question after your post.>

There are two basic methods of running operating system clusters, one is active-passive and the other one is active-active.
How to ensure that my os is configured with active-passive or active-active ?

Regards,
Suhas
Re: How to verify a server [message #619349 is a reply to message #619348] Mon, 21 July 2014 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Are you talking about OS cluster or Oracle cluster?

Re: How to verify a server [message #619351 is a reply to message #619349] Mon, 21 July 2014 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suhasdba
Michel,
Quote:

os cluster

Quote:
df -h |grep -i ORCL

This command will also tell what are all the mount points thats is related to database

[Updated on: Mon, 21 July 2014 18:35]

Re: How to verify a server [message #619357 is a reply to message #619351] Mon, 21 July 2014 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>This command will also tell what are all the mount points thats is related to database
above is not ALWAYS true.
have ORACLE_SID as part of pathname is neither a requirement of any OS nor any requirement of Oracle.
The general convention is for the the ORACLE_SID to exist somewhere in the fully qualified pathname; but it is by no means an enforced requirement.
Re: How to verify a server [message #619358 is a reply to message #619351] Mon, 21 July 2014 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trantuananh24hg
suhasdba wrote on Mon, 21 July 2014 20:40
Michel,
os cluster

I just only cited a basic concept (sysbas) from cluster-platform, you should train your self by OS document
Quote:

Active-active
Setup: Two Adaptive Servers are configured as companion servers, each with independent workloads. These companions run on the primary and secondary nodes, respectively, as individual servers until one fails over.

Failover: When fail over occurs, the secondary companion takes over the devices, client connections, and so on from the primary companion. The secondary companion services the failed-over clients, as well as any new clients, until the primary companion fails back and resumes its activities.

Failback: Failback is a planned event during which the primary companion takes back its devices and client connections from the secondary companion to resume its services.

Client connection failover: During failover, clients connect to the secondary companion to resubmit their uncommitted transactions. During failback, clients connect to the primary companion to resubmit their transactions. Clients with the failover property reestablish their connections automatically.

Active-passive
Setup: A single Adaptive Server runs either on the primary node or on the secondary node. The Adaptive Server runs on the primary node before a fail over and the secondary node after fail over.

Failover: When a system fails over, the Adaptive Server and its associated resources are relocated to, and restarted on, the secondary node.

Failback: Failback is a planned fail over or relocation of the Adaptive Server and its resources to the primary node. Failback is not required, but can be done for administrative purposes.

Client connection failover: During failover and failback, clients connect to the same Adaptive Server to resubmit uncommitted transactions. Clients with the failover property reestablish their connections automatically.

And, here is Oracle forum, if you want to make a question associated to OS, please take it into corresponding OS forum.
Before you would like to understand OS architecture, OS techonology, ... you should like to read documents.
Re: How to verify a server [message #619373 is a reply to message #619351] Tue, 22 July 2014 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

suhasdba wrote on Mon, 21 July 2014 22:40
Michel,
Quote:

os cluster

Quote:
df -h |grep -i ORCL

This command will also tell what are all the mount points thats is related to database

1/ Post this question in a forum for your OS, here we talk about Oracle RDBMS
2/ I can name the directories and file system as I want with ORACLE_SID or not, even with another ORACLE_SID, ONLY Oracle views tells me what are the files it uses

[Edit: missing word]

[Updated on: Tue, 22 July 2014 08:53]

Re: How to verify a server [message #619440 is a reply to message #619373] Tue, 22 July 2014 08:33 Go to previous message
suhasdba
I would like to thank trantuananh/Michel/Blackswan for sharing your best knowledge on OS cluster and with help of your guidance I have achieved some knowledge on it.

I will keep reading more and more on the sites you pointed about OS cluster and will ask questions related to database.

Regards,
Suhas

[Updated on: Tue, 22 July 2014 08:37]

Previous Topic: impact of shutdown abort in backup mode
Next Topic: Shutdown immediate taking more time to down database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:15:35 CDT 2024