Home » Other » Training & Certification » client server (ORacle, 10g, XP and VIsta)
client server [message #376693] Thu, 18 December 2008 05:10 Go to next message
abuzayd
Hello,
I just took my OCA exams but have no hands on experience yet of day to day use of oracle database. (i practise a few things on my PC, but i want to see some situations relating to a networked environment - say client server, or peer to peer)
I have oracle installed on my XP laptop but on the vista that i use in the office
I am wondering if it is possible to create a kind of client-server relationship between the 2 (i network them) and i try to query the database on the XP from the vista (i have not installed oracle on this).
I hope you understand the question.
Thank you
Re: client server [message #376871 is a reply to message #376693] Fri, 19 December 2008 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dr.s.raghunathan
oracle xe apex 3.1.2 free version install in your laptop and normal peer to another desktop you can access your server. But whenther it can help your OCA, i do not know.
yours
dr.s.raghunathan

[Updated on: Fri, 19 December 2008 00:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: client server [message #376889 is a reply to message #376693] Fri, 19 December 2008 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
If you can connect your laptop to the network, and the network admins allow for it, you should be able to connect from your desktop to the database on your laptop.
Install Oracle client software on the desktop, configure tnsnames.ora to point to the ip-address of the laptop and you should be on your way.

Note however that the various firewalls can spoil the fun for you.. (firewall on the desktop, on the laptop and in the network)

[Updated on: Fri, 19 December 2008 01:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: client server [message #376912 is a reply to message #376693] Fri, 19 December 2008 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abuzayd
Thank you for the replies.
But maybe i should rephrase my question
I have two laptops - on with XP Operating system and the other vista).
I have installed oracle database 10g on the one with XP.
I want to know whether i can query the database on XP from Vista if i connect an RJ45 between the two of them (of course after setting their IPs).
I hope this will make your answers clearer to me.

Thank you
Re: client server [message #376913 is a reply to message #376912] Fri, 19 December 2008 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
The answer is YES. If you can ping the XP box from Vista (i.e. the network is working); you have a DB & listener on XP; and the Oracle client installed on Vista, you are good to go.
Re: client server [message #378633 is a reply to message #376913] Wed, 31 December 2008 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abuzayd
hello i'm back from trying out your suggestions.
(i hope i'm not bumping though)

Anyways back to the topic, i'm now presently installing oracle client on my vista PC and i'm trying to configure Oracle Net Configuration Assistant. Do i have to be connected to the other PC with the database installed on it to do this successfully or can i just set the port number and the SID as i have it on the database (on the XP) and then later try to connect the two?

Thank you.
Re: client server [message #378910 is a reply to message #378633] Fri, 02 January 2009 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abuzayd
A prosperous year to all the folks around here(although this place feels empty at the moment Cool )

I tried connection the two PCs as i said the last time, one with the client 10g and the other with the datbase.
but i get the TNS error; time out
i dont know if has to do with the port number i used.
when opening enterprise manager on the PC with the database installed, i use 5500.
But i used the suggested defualt of 1521 during installation of the client.

I've not been able to resolve the problem though.

thanx
Re: client server [message #378929 is a reply to message #378910] Fri, 02 January 2009 13:46 Go to previous message
Frank
Let me check if I get you correctly:
- You run Enterprise Manager on the machine with the database (the server)?
This is run in a web-browser, right? You say you use port 5500 for that. Do you mean you have localhost:5500/.... in your URL?
- You did not use 1521 in the tnsnames.ora of your client?

TNS/SQLNet or whatever it is called nowadays runs over port 1521 by default; best to leave it like that.
Enterprise manager through a web-browser has nothing to do with TNS. It calls a http-server.
Previous Topic: What's OCP/OCA certification
Next Topic: What to do about masters degree
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:42:23 CDT 2024