Home » Other » Training & Certification » Oracle PL/SQL Advanced Developer OCP certification vs DBA certification
Oracle PL/SQL Advanced Developer OCP certification vs DBA certification [message #438671] Mon, 11 January 2010 11:43 Go to next message
decci_7
Hi,

I'm a PL/SQL developer and want to complete an OCP certification track. But I'm a bit confused on which one to take. I want something which will add to my current skillset which is PL/SQL programming.

Recently I found one (Oracle PL/SQL Advanced Developer OCP certification) with following details which looks suitable as per my needs:

Quote:
Pass one Entry level exam:
1Z0-007: Introduction to Oracle9i SQL (Already completed)
1Z0-047: Oracle Database SQL Expert
1Z0-051: Oracle Database 11g: SQL Fundamentals

Pass one of two exams:
1Z0-147: Oracle DBA9i PL/SQL (Passing this test will help you in achieving the OCP (Oracle Certified Professional) and Oracle PL/SQL Developer Certified Associate certifications.)
1Z0-144: Oracle Database 11g: Program with PL/SQL

Pass the core exam:
1Z0-146: Oracle Database 11g: Advanced PL/SQL

Before going ahead with the certification, I wanted to consult with the pros, if taking on this certification is more meaningful than going for DBA OCP certification provided I want to do a certification which will add upto my current skillset and area of work?

Please advise.

Thanks!!

[Updated on: Mon, 11 January 2010 12:40] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle PL/SQL Advanced Developer OCP certification vs DBA certification [message #438697 is a reply to message #438671] Mon, 11 January 2010 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
Please this which gives you Oracle Certification Program list/details.
And Quote:
Recently I found one (Oracle PL/SQL Advanced Developer OCP certification) with following details which looks suitable as per my needs:

if taking on this certification is more meaningful than going for DBA OCP certification provided I want to do a certification which will add upto my current skillset and area of work?

I prefer/suggest OCP DBA TRACK.

Goodluck.

Sriram Smile
Re: Oracle PL/SQL Advanced Developer OCP certification vs DBA certification [message #438739 is a reply to message #438671] Tue, 12 January 2010 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
decci_7 wrote on Mon, 11 January 2010 18:43
Hi,

I'm a PL/SQL developer and want to complete an OCP certification track. But I'm a bit confused on which one to take. I want something which will add to my current skillset which is PL/SQL programming.

In my humble opinion, certification adds nothing to your skillset. It may add to your resume, but not to your knowledge.
Re: Oracle PL/SQL Advanced Developer OCP certification vs DBA certification [message #438742 is a reply to message #438739] Tue, 12 January 2010 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
Quote:
Oracle certifications are tangible, industry-recognized credentials that can help you succeed in your IT career and provide measurable benefits to your employer.

Oracle certifications are a reliable validation of training and experience that can accelerate your professional development, improve your productivity, and enhance your credibility.

Oracle certification adds something whenever you have strong knowledge....

sriram Smile
Re: Oracle PL/SQL Advanced Developer OCP certification vs DBA certification [message #438744 is a reply to message #438742] Tue, 12 January 2010 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
ramoradba wrote on Tue, 12 January 2010 07:52
Quote:
Oracle certifications are tangible, industry-recognized credentials that can help you succeed in your IT career and provide measurable benefits to your employer.

Oracle certifications are a reliable validation of training and experience that can accelerate your professional development, improve your productivity, and enhance your credibility.

Oracle certification adds something whenever you have strong knowledge....

sriram Smile

Quoting an advertisement does not raally convince me. Taking an exam does NOT add knowledge.
Want an example? About 10 years ago, the zillions of junior IT people. All MCSE or whatever MCxE there were, but they could not even find the on/off switch on a computer.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 January 2010 01:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle PL/SQL Advanced Developer OCP certification vs DBA certification [message #438745 is a reply to message #438697] Tue, 12 January 2010 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
decci_7
I want something which will add to my current skillset which is PL/SQL programming.

ramoradba
I prefer/suggest OCP DBA TRACK.

@ramoradba: so how exactly your suggestion fits @decci_7's skills?
Re: Oracle PL/SQL Advanced Developer OCP certification vs DBA certification [message #438749 is a reply to message #438745] Tue, 12 January 2010 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
Yes you are right..Little foot,I miss read that....Quote:
PL/SQL programming. And... I want to do a certification which will add upto my current skillset and area of work?

Sriram Smile

Re: Oracle PL/SQL Advanced Developer OCP certification vs DBA certification [message #438854 is a reply to message #438749] Tue, 12 January 2010 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
decci_7
Ramoradba - Well, I think I might go with the Oracle PL/SQL Advanced Developer certification for now as I dont have any intention to change over from Programming to the database administration anytime soon.
However, whenever I'll need to, I'm sure I would like to go for the latest certification available @ that time.

Frank - You're right. It certainly adds weight to the resume.

Anyways. Thanks a lot guys!

Just in case, if anybody can suggest me some good books for 1z0-147 exam, please do so coz I couldn't find any books specially covering this exam.

Regards!
Re: Oracle PL/SQL Advanced Developer OCP certification vs DBA certification [message #492434 is a reply to message #438854] Mon, 31 January 2011 04:04 Go to previous message
subhendu
Hi,

Please suggest me a book for 1z0-146 exam. I passed OCA in Oracle 10g DBA using Jason Couchman's book. I will be thankful if anyone can suggest me a book for 1z0-146 apart from taking the training from Oracle University. Is it possible to buy only the study materials for advanced PL/SQL training from Oracle University?

Regards,
Subhendu
email - chakraborty.subhendu@gmail.com
Previous Topic: OCP Guidance
Next Topic: OCA Certification
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:37:38 CDT 2024