Re: Hugh Darwen's latest free book

From: Eric <eric_at_deptj.eu>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 00:04:15 +0000

On 2012-11-21, paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote:
> For those who aren't aware of his work, Hugh Darwen has written a
> companion to his relational theory book, which can be read in parallel.
> The theory book makes its points with Darwen and Date's Tutorial D
> teaching language and the companion book uses SQL to make the same
> points - or not where SQL is incapable!
>
> I'd say the perspective is pretty unique, since Darwen spent years on
> the SQL standards committee while also being a severe critic.
>
> Both books are free pdf downloads at bookboon dot com.

> You do have to
> put up with embedded ads which personally I don't find troublesome,
> being as I am a fan of the author ...

Well I do find it troublesome, though I too am a fan of the author. They are irritating, distracting and a perversion of the whole idea of a book. I find these books difficult to read, and I do not feel that I could refer someone to them as part of a serious argument about database theory, because the ads make the integrity of the book suspect.

It is another facet of the declining usefulness of the internet as real factual information becomes harder and harder to find.

Bring back the Rx drawer!

Eric

--
ms fnd in a lbry