Re: The dbdebunk revival

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 12:19:04 -0700

On 11/07/2012 8:27 PM, Bob Badour wrote:
> Its focus will remain data fundamentals, and it will still be
> critical of fallacies and misconceptions, but with a more corrective,
> educational bent, less personal and strident and societal issues not
> directly related to the technical specifics.

Looking forward to it.

FP was one of the very few bright lights in the db field. As a matter of accuracy, what he wrote was rather impersonal, it was the half-assed ideas he ridiculed. The more puerile motor mouths who resorted to the personal stuff just didn't have the nous to counter his arguments. If he made any mistake, it was to give children a platform.

I hope "To Laugh or Cry?" survives in some fashion. Almost every week, it made me laugh. Since dbdebunk went stagnant, it's been much harder to get my jollies, I have to search general gossip sites like theregister for quotes by DB2 execs and the like. There was a good one last week about throwing the juvenile misconception called RDF against the wall to see it it sticks.

Relational theory is not only widely misunderstood but its application remains incomplete so it makes sense to me that FP and the other lights should continue to finish their work. Codd didn't give up just because the powerful IMS factions tried to sabotage him. It seems most of FP's critics had similar vested interests.

Also hoping he makes some money out of it, advertisements wouldn't bother me. Received on Sun Jul 15 2012 - 21:19:04 CEST

Original text of this message