Re: Question on Structuring Product Attributes

From: -CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 09:09:20 -0700 (PDT)

[ the 4-th edition of SMARTIES?] Is there a lot of new material that the earlier editions did not cover?<<

A lot of it is the same topics, but with newer constructs in the solutions. ~785 page versus ~550 pages for the second edition; I don't have the third edition in front of me.

Table of Contents

Introduction

Chapter 1: Databases versus File Systems
Chapter 2: Transactions and Concurrency Control
Chapter 3: Schema Level Objects
Chapter 4: Locating Data and Special Numbers
Chapter 5: Base Tables and Related Elements
Chapter 6: Procedural, Semi-Procedural and Declarative Programming
Chapter 7: Procedural Constructs
Chapter 8: Auxiliary Tables
Chapter 9: Normalization
Chapter 10: Numeric Data Types
Chapter 11: Temporal Data Types
Chapter 12: Character Data Types
Chapter 13: NULLs — Missing Data in SQL
Chapter 14: Multiple Column Data Elements
Chapter 15: Table Operations
Chapter 16: Comparison or Theta Operators
Chapter 17: Valued Predicates
Chapter 18: CASE Expressions
Chapter 19: LIKE and SIMILAR TO Predicates
Chapter 20: BETWEEN and OVERLAPS Predicates
Chapter 21: The [NOT] IN() Predicate
Chapter 22: EXISTS() Predicate
Chapter 23: Quantified Subquery Predicates
Chapter 24: The Simple SELECT Statement
Chapter 25: Advanced SELECT Statements
Chapter 26: Virtual Tables: VIEWs, Derived Tables, CTEs and MQTs
Chapter 27: Partitioning Data in Queries
Chapter 28: Grouping Operations
Chapter 29: Simple Aggregate Functions
Chapter 30: Advanced Grouping, Windowed Aggregation and OLAP in SQL
Chapter 31: Descriptive Statistics in SQL
Chapter 32: Sub-Sequences, Regions, Runs, Gaps, and Islands
Chapter 33: Matrices in SQL
Chapter 34: Set Operations
Chapter 35: Subsets
Chapter 36: Trees and Hierarchies in SQL
Chapter 37: Graphs in SQL

Chapter 38: Temporal Queries
Chapter 39: Optimizing SQL Received on Thu Oct 20 2011 - 18:09:20 CEST

Original text of this message