Re: Generating fake databases

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 10:11:41 +0000 (UTC)

Derek Asirvadem wrote:

> A tidbit !
>
> On Oct 14, 6:40 pm, Roy Hann <specia..._at_processed.almost.meat> wrote:
>>
>> In some far future day I can see how it would be nice to have a tool
>> that could extract the declared constraints from the database
>> catalogues
>
> No need to wait. We have had it since 1987. The ANSI/ISO/IEC SQL
> Standard requires a catalogue, that can be perused using SQL.

Yes, I am aware of that and I clearly wrote "the declared constraints *from* the database catalogues". Furthermore I was addressing Erwin's very reasonable query about declared versus assumed constraints.

I don't mind you asking for more clarity but I do mind you not paying attention to what detail I have given and the context in which I've given it.

> Generating scripts that populate tables can be done quite easily, not
> counting the varying number of lines of the varying columns, it takes
> about ten lines of SQL code. Adding the complexity of varying
> columns, datatypes, etc is another 12 lines, plus a vector of 35
> lines, one per datatype. Now add your mythical table which
> "constraints" the "data" to "synthetic", four more lines, and you are
> done.

I'm not looking for recipes. I am looking for research that goes beyond naive recipes; that's why I posted to a theory group.

--
Roy