Re: Generating fake databases

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 09:41:42 +0000 (UTC)

Derek Asirvadem wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2:48 am, Roy Hann <specia..._at_processed.almost.meat> wrote:
>>
>> I fear you may be somewhat dazzled by the clarity of your own vision of
>> the solution.
>
> (Groan)
>
> Well, the prospects are always brighter when one knows what one wants,
> then people who feel inclined to help you can actually do so. But
> never mind, we will drag it out of you, no matter what it takes. We
> do not have crystal balls, so it may take a bit of to-ing and fro-ing.

[Lots snipped]

> Anyway, contemplate that for a while, and see if you can provide a few
> more words specifying exactly what you want, in the creation of
> "synthetic but plausible/realistic" "data" that "satisfies
> constraints" but nothing else. We will delight in whatever scraps of
> information we receive from you, and we will jump at the chance of
> dragging a few more scraps out of you tomorrow.

Perhaps I deserve this kind of response, but I will repeat my initial request, which in all honesty seems pretty unobjectionable to me:

"Can anyone point me towards any papers, articles or web pages that discuss efficient techniques for generating large volumes of completely synthetic database content having specified characteristics?"

Once I have found such resources, read them, and familiarized myself with the state-of-the-art and indeed the established terminology, I may well come back here with questions in which I will provide all the information anyone could want. But for now I just want suggestions for reading.

--
Roy