Recursive queries in slow database
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 05:38:27 -0800 (PST)
I am the user of a database, which is ridiculously slow for even the simplest queries. The vendor of the db soes a lot of stuff that I am deeply suspicious of:
- They don't hire staff with SW/dB experience, but general MSc's and give them OJT.
- They have had no resources to provide proper OJT on SW/dbs
- They use one generic db model with a large number of clients
- Because of the generic architecture they use variables to indicate data type in the table, slowing queries down
- They claim to have come up with a particular nifty trick for recursive calls into the db, that they claim to be sole users of
All in all, I suspect these people are amateurs and dillettantes who have no idea what they are doing. I would love to hire pros to re-do the work these people are not able to, but in order to do that I will need to come up with convincing arguments to support a claim that there are severe problems.
Any hints on how to proceed?
DoC Received on Mon Jan 10 2011 - 07:38:27 CST