i18n (multi language) schema

From: Spike <fauria_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 07:44:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everybody!

I would like do design a database (MySQL) for a website that needs to be presented in 10 different languages, including English, Chinese, Russian and Arabic.

For example, im going to have a "products" table, with fields id, name, price and description.

I have another table "languages", with id, name, regional_name, and iso6391.

Which is the best way of modelling this?

I thought about splitting the fields from "products" that need to be internationalized in separate tables, or adding a third table "languages_products", that joins each record from products with a language.

Im sure you might know better approaches to this, so i would be pleased to hear them.

Thank you very much! Received on Tue Oct 12 2010 - 16:44:39 CEST

Original text of this message