qbql

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 21:17:06 GMT

On 28/09/2010 11:55 AM, Vadim Tropashko wrote:
> First user?-)

Yup. Downloaded jar yesterday, got some kind of cpu loop, maybe because I was on my third cup of wine. Don't think I've tried java since about 1998 so I probably have command line options mangled.

Might try it today with more wine, see if that helps. Just kidding, from what little I know of qbql, I think it might qualify as a public service, which I think TTM certainly is and has been for many years even though it is generally ignored by the industry.

I was dubious about 'your' lattice for a few years, maybe because of the inner union. I had suggested to Hugh Darwen once that that the TTM formal definitions could enable it with a one-word change. He immediately rejected that idea in as strong terms as he ever uses. But I think the problem was of my own creation, not using the precise lingo that he and Date quite rightly insist on and which shows in their writing.

(Today I was reading a Washington Post account by Bob Woodward that quoted some of the deliberations to do with the US administration's Afghanistan troop increase. I couldn't believe how vague, casual and emotional touchy-feely the recommendations from the generals to the US President were, likewise most of his guidance and instructions to them.   Finally, the decision was taken. Of course nobody knows how their actions will turn out, but I concluded that based on Woodward's quotes, none of them can state their reasoning in any way that resembles precise and therefore not the strategy's nuances either. I used to spend a lot of time in Britain and I remember how many times I overheard children chatting on the street and being struck by the great facility of language by mere twelve-year-olds which was not only clearer but more imaginative than the language I've heard from most American Presidents of the last forty years. Apparently U.S. President Obama's tack was to dictate various criteria for the recommendations in a legalistic way, which seemed thoughtlessly irrelevant to me, but maybe it was just his frustration with the technocrats showing (even though I suspect he is one too. Not to insult the USA, here in Canada it's just as bad and anybody can see the baby boomer Brit' politicos are so confused they have started to resort to American pronunciations). Yesterday, I watched the google president on TV (forget his name right now, he was at Sun before) use far more precise language to describe the general decline of literacy. He might be an improvement but probably has enough sense not to run when the cause seems hopless.)) Sorry for all the parentheses! Received on Tue Sep 28 2010 - 23:17:06 CEST

Original text of this message