Re: On the usefulness of tables definitions in RM...

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 23:29:09 +0000 (UTC)

Cimode wrote:

>> I then remind the class that the tabular appearance is merely a happy >> accident.

> Thanks for this insight. I am curious as to what do you think is
> gained by your students, in the perspective of understanding
> relations, in going through such efforts.

Nothing, I hope. Or rather, I hope they are disuaded that the tabular representation has any special significance. At the very least I hope they don't leave saying things like "tables are two-dimensional".

But perhaps you are asking if they discern a distinction between table valued variables and tables? No, probably not. I do actually say words that spell out the difference but I can't say I ever test their understanding of the difference.

--
Roy