Re: Hashes from composite keys?

From: Kevin Kirkpatrick <kvnkrkptrck_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:58:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 24, 3:23 am, Karsten Wutzke <kwut..._at_web.de> wrote:

> Thanks for kicking me into the right direction. :-)

Apparently he didn't kick hard enough. :-) You've found an answer to your "how", but I believe (he can confirm) that Bob's point was that you skipped "what". Same applies to the developers of the hash functionality to which you linked. I needed read no further than this:

 public class Person {
   String name;
   int age;
   boolean smoker;
}

The wrong direction is the effort to do your data managment in the application, rather than in the database. *That* is the wrong direction, and the best of all solutions you come up with will be fabulously sophisticated hacks which will work fine for your current task at hand, impress the hell out of any equally naive developers with whom you work, and leave you with a glass-brittle application that nobody will want to breathe wrong on for the next 10 years.

Seeing enough of it can make you as jaded as, well, Bob. Received on Fri Jul 30 2010 - 17:58:47 CEST

Original text of this message