Re: General semantics

From: Reinier Post <rp_at_raampje.lan>
Date: 24 May 2010 13:13:12 GMT

Erwin wrote:

>On 22 mei, 21:53, r..._at_raampje.lan (Reinier Post) wrote:
>
>> Just to nitpick: in OO modeling there is no such thing as an OID,
>> presumably you mean an object reference.
>
>And just to nitpick on the nitpicking : he wasn't talking of OO
>_modeling_, he was talking of OO _programming_.

So was I, but thanks for the correction.

>Did you mean to suggest that OO _programming_ systems hardly ever base
>their operation upon OIDs ?

This is a matter of definition, but to me, an 'OID' is something used in logic and databases, in programming the term is not used as far as I'm aware. The difference between OID and reference is that references arise naturally in programming, whereas OIDs are an emulation of references that must be carefully constructed.

--
Reinier