Re: On Formal IS-A definition

From: David BL <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 03:24:25 -0700 (PDT)

On May 10, 5:21 pm, Nilone <rea..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Regardless of how I try to define a set of variables, it seems I can
> only define a set of values and interpret it variably. I find Bob's
> reference to Clinton more significant now than at first. I suspect
> that asserting what a variable, a set, or anything else 'is' defers
> the interpretation and representation of the concept.

I don't see any reason to interpret values (and that includes language- -values) as anything other than themselves. One should use explicit functions to map values to other values as one requires. E.g. don't pretend a tuple with attributes cx,cy,r is a circle. Instead use a function to give it that semantic. E.g. circle(point(0,0),1).

Interpreting a value as a variable or vice versa is only good for creating confusion. It is noteworthy that no function can map a value to a variable or vice versa because functions only map values to values. Received on Mon May 10 2010 - 12:24:25 CEST

Original text of this message