Re: Expressions versus the value they represent

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 02:52:17 GMT

David BL wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean by saying that a relvar is a pointer. What
> does it point at? Or do you mean a relvar name is like a pointer that
> points at an assignable variable within a physical database?

Nor I you. As I said, a relvar is a pointer, so not it's confusing to say it's 'like' one. I thought it 'pointed' to a value, maybe there is some cultural language nuance that I'm not able to comprehend that somehow makes a difference in the eyes of some beholder or othe. Maybe Bob B can explain the difference between a relational pointer and some other kind of pointer but I would have thought the difference was patent regardless of context. (I think 'assignment' is a difficult notion but am glad you mentioned it.) Personally, for practial reasons if none other, I would prefer to think of a pointer as being a pointer, regardless of cultural context. Received on Fri Apr 16 2010 - 04:52:17 CEST

Original text of this message