Re: Hadoop - not being discussed here?

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 13:41:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 10, 12:50 pm, Paulie <linehan.p..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I did a search through Google groups for the term
> "Hadoop" and found only one post!
>
> I would have thought that it was a fairly important
> database given the client list if nothing else,
> Google, Amazon, Twitter to name only a few of
> the busiest sites on the planet that use it in some
> shape or form.
>
> Any reason for this - where would I go to find debates
> on the pros and cons of Hadoop and similar?

Google doesn't use Hadoop per se; Google uses things like GFS and MapReduce, which they built in-house and have not released. The Hadoop project is an open source reimplementation of various such Google ideas, based on papers Google has published.

To a large extent, there's really nothing interesting in these things; they are roughly 1960s era system services, including the data management parts, but reimplemented such that they allow for high scalability, and/or availability, through very large scale redundancy.

Not much to discuss from a theory standpoint; not very ambitious in anything except scale.

You might look for the mailing lists for the various projects, if you want to talk about any of them specifically.

Marshall Received on Sat Apr 10 2010 - 22:41:55 CEST

Original text of this message