Re: compound propositions

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 23:59:48 -0300

Mr. Scott wrote:

> "paul c" <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote in message
>

>>Mr. Scott wrote:
>>
>>>"paul c" <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote in message

>>>I'm confused. Are you trying to find a way to avoid using nulls? ...
>>
>>No, I didn't have that in mind. Until I can put the question more
>>coherently I do have a comment about 'avoiding nulls' and no offense
>>intended - the phrase seems so unfortunate to me, as if it means some kind
>>of detour or deviation from orthodoxy. Not unlike how so many expressions
>>in other fields sooner or later acquire the opposite meaning from the
>>original. I suppose 'avoiding nonsense' covers the same intended ground
>>but bothering to keep either figment constantly in mind seems a waste of
>>time to me. I suppose there are purists in all fields who feel a need to
>>rebut every cockamamie nuance spouted by half-assed practitioners.
>
> Nulls are not nonsense.  They're merely a device that permits the recording
> of disjunctive information in neat tabular format.

Explain how that requires breaking useful identies like

SUM(A) + SUM(B) = SUM(A+B) create table tablewithnulls(A integer, B integer)

insert into tablewithnulls values(1,NULL)
insert into tablewithnulls values(NULL,2)
insert into tablewithnulls values(3,4)

select SUM(A) from tablewithnulls      -- 4
select SUM(B) from tablewithnulls      -- 6
select SUM(A+B) from tablewithnulls -- 7 != 4+6 Received on Tue Mar 30 2010 - 04:59:48 CEST

Original text of this message