Re: compound propositions

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 15:21:34 GMT

Mr. Scott wrote:
> "paul c" <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote in message > news:XEvnn.71100$PH1.31420_at_edtnps82... ...
>> One reason is that I still don't know how Codd's Information Principle
>> applies to compound propositions, eg., " 'C1' is a customer OR 'C1' is a
>> client". I can see that humans might imagine themselves capable of
>> interpreting a relation (or to put it redundantly a relation value) as
>> implitly mentioning that 'OR' connective (and dba's might so instruct
>> their users). But where is it recorded? (or 'manifested'?) Eg., is it
>> 'recorded' only in the ephemeral form of an expectation that a program's
>> execution can't manifest given a single relation to operate on?
>>

> I'm confused. Are you trying to find a way to avoid using nulls? ...

No, I didn't have that in mind. Until I can put the question more coherently I do have a comment about 'avoiding nulls' and no offense intended - the phrase seems so unfortunate to me, as if it means some kind of detour or deviation from orthodoxy. Not unlike how so many expressions in other fields sooner or later acquire the opposite meaning from the original. I suppose 'avoiding nonsense' covers the same intended ground but bothering to keep either figment constantly in mind seems a waste of time to me. I suppose there are purists in all fields who feel a need to rebut every cockamamie nuance spouted by half-assed practitioners. Received on Sat Mar 27 2010 - 16:21:34 CET

Original text of this message