Re: compound propositions

From: Bob Badour <>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:13:22 -0300

paul c wrote:

> Bob Badour wrote:

>> paul c wrote:
>> sigh See ISO/IEC 2382 -- defined there.
>> I will start by directing you to the ISO/IEC 2382 standard
>> vocabularies so that you will have the necessary grounding to
>> understand the differences between conceptual, logical and physical as
>> well as the definitive difference between information and data. The
>> standard also defines internal and external. When I use these terms, I
>> use the definions in ISO/IEC 2382.

> Can't seem to find online the portion that this refers to (at least
> without paying), maybe I'll have to find a library that has them all.
> The ones I've seen aren't what I'd call formal, though they offer
> examples and context that may be valuable for starting discussions if
> nothing else.
> Which sections or portions refer to 'internal' for example?

All the terms I mentioned are fundamental. If I recall correctly, they are all defined in 2382-01. Information and data are the first 2 definitions as I recall.

> Are
> relation or relvar 'headers' defined by ISO?

Not that I am aware of. Almost certainly not anything to do with 'relvar' because the standard vocabularies were mostly published before TTM where D&D introduced the term.

>> Once you have done so, the remainder of this post will be redundant.

>> Conceptually the predicate and its extension depend on all these
>> factors; however, most of these factors are immeasurable and/or
>> uninteresting. ...

> Personally as far a db is concerned, what is immeasurable is
> uninteresting (by 'immeasureable' or that which we can't take the
> measure of, I include 'un-nameable').

Within the scope of the formal model, I absolutely agree. Received on Thu Mar 18 2010 - 23:13:22 CET

Original text of this message