Re: compound propositions

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 21:56:17 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:
> paul c wrote:
>

>> David BL wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder what is meant exactly by 'internal predicates' and 'external
>>> predicates'.  I would appreciate it if someone could provide a
>>> definition.

> sigh See ISO/IEC 2382 -- defined there.
>
> I will start by directing you to the ISO/IEC 2382 standard vocabularies
> so that you will have the necessary grounding to understand the
> differences between conceptual, logical and physical as well as the
> definitive difference between information and data. The standard also
> defines internal and external. When I use these terms, I use the
> definions in ISO/IEC 2382.

Can't seem to find online the portion that this refers to (at least without paying), maybe I'll have to find a library that has them all. The ones I've seen aren't what I'd call formal, though they offer examples and context that may be valuable for starting discussions if nothing else.

Which sections or portions refer to 'internal' for example? Are relation or relvar 'headers' defined by ISO?

> Once you have done so, the remainder of this post will be redundant.

> Conceptually the predicate and its extension depend on all these
> factors; however, most of these factors are immeasurable and/or
> uninteresting. ...

Personally as far a db is concerned, what is immeasurable is uninteresting (by 'immeasureable' or that which we can't take the measure of, I include 'un-nameable'). Received on Thu Mar 18 2010 - 22:56:17 CET

Original text of this message