Re: compound propositions

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 16:53:03 GMT

David BL wrote:

> I wonder what is meant exactly by 'internal predicates' and 'external
> predicates'. I would appreciate it if someone could provide a
> definition.

I doubt if I could give a mathematical definition, which I'd guess is what you would want. But as for the usefulness of external predicates, I can think of two i) they allow us to talk about propositions without mentioning propositions, ii) they allow us to interpret relations without having to create operators to correspond with the verbs, adverbs, adjectives and logical connectives we use in ordinary language.   From this point of view, I'm hard-pressed to imagine what an internal predicate could be, other than a relation heading. (Some might say that excludes constraints, but I assume any constraint can match some heading and therefore correspond to some relation value even if it's not implemented with such.) Received on Thu Mar 18 2010 - 17:53:03 CET

Original text of this message