Re: Fitch's paradox and OWA

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 23:40:33 -0800 (PST)

On 4 jan, 17:56, stevendaryl3..._at_yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough) wrote:
> Jan Hidders says...

> >> It doesn't contain the same *axioms*. In particular, I'm
> >> rejecting the "knowability principle" in favor of a variant
> >> principle that is (as far as I can see) consistent.
>
> >Well, I'm not so sure. Your new variant look very similar to how the
> >principle is formulated in my model theory. And there I got the
> >contradiction.
>
> Well, as I said, I don't see how the proof of a contradiction
> could go through. The variant looks similar to your version,
> because I *intended* it to be the closest variant that did
> not lead to the contradiction. The main thing that is different
> is that in my variant, knowledge is about *non-modal* propositions,
> rather than modal propositions. The distinction is this: If I say
> "It is raining", that's a modal statement; it's true in some
> circumstances and false in others. If I say "It is raining on
> July 12, 2006 in New York City", then that statement is non-modal.
> If it is ever true, then it is always true.
>
> So my formulation of the principle of knowability is that if
> a *non-modal* proposition is true, then it is known in some
> possible world. Now, I can easily come up with statements that
> make this principle false, as well, using self-reference:
>
> "This statement is not known to be true in any possible world"
>
> But within the syntax that I'm suggesting, such self-reference
> isn't obviously possible.
>

> >> Let's try to make this more explicit.
> >> You have a set W of possible worlds, a set MP of
> >> modal propositions, and for each world w, a set S_w of
> >> the elements of MP true in world w. The set S_w is constrained
> >> by the following rules:
>
> >> 1. If Kp is in S_w, then p is in S_w (you can only know true
> >> statements)
> >> 2. And(p,q) is in S_w iff p is in S_w and q is in S_w
> >> 3. Or(p,q) is in S_w iff p is in S_w or q is in S_w.
> >> 4. Not(p) is in S_w iff p is not in S_w
> >> 5. Implies(p,q) is in S_w iff p is not in S_w or q is in S_w
> >> 6. <>p is in S_w iff for some w', p is in w'
> >> 7. []p is in S_w iff for all w', p is in w'
>
> >That already looks close enough to a model theory to me.
>
> Sorry for the confusion. I'm trying to paraphrase *your*
> model theory.
>
> >A model could
> >be a pair (W, S) with W the set of possible worlds and S : W -> 2^F
> >where F is the set of formulas and satisfies the rules 1-7. I strongly
> >conjecture that those models would be isomorphic to the models in my
> >formulation of the model theory and lead to the same formulas being
> >true.
>
> That was my intention.
>

> >Your mapping to type theory is a bit hard for me to get my head
> >around, so I'll assume for the moment that the above is your model
> >theory.
>
> >> Now, to capture this semantics in type theory, we use
> >> the following translations:
>
> >> 1. Introduce a type, W, of all possible worlds.
> [...]

First let me say thanks for your patience and taking the time to explain this to me. I'm afraid I can only give a short reply now because life and work are getting busier again.

I think I see now better your point about the fact that in different worlds we might use the same description to refer to things that are actually different facts. Your example being "it rains" which refers to something different if the different worlds correspond to different days. But I would argue that this is from the perspective of someone who is outside the model and has some way to identify the different worlds independent of what facts hold in them. When you are inside the model and in a certain world the only way to distinguish them is by looking which facts hold in them. For the rain example it could be that in your vocabulary you can express what day it is, and then you can distinguish the different days, but then you could have formulated the fact that you had in mind as "it rains and it is today 5 January 2010". If the date in your world is not in your vocabulary then you have no way of describing the differences between the "it rains" proposition in different worlds.

For me the meaning of a proposition is in its pragmatics. If "it rains" means that I will get wet when I go outside and I need to take my umbrella with me, then I don't care what day it is, so it will in that respect be the same proposition each day. Another example might be "all mushrooms are edible" which might mean something different when I'm in different forests, but if I have no way of knowing in which forest I am, and if the pragmatics are the same for me (I will eat them), then from my perspective these are the same facts.

I think I now understand also better how you want to distinguish in your model theory between modal and nonmodal facts, and why you want to restrict the K operator to nonmodal facts. Briefly put, since p & ~Kp is a modal fact, we then simply cannot formulate K(p & ~Kp) and get the contradiction. Although I may not fully agree with the philosophy behind this restriction, I agree now that this strategy, when executed properly, could indeed avoid the contradiction.

That's it for now. As I said, it is possible that I will not be able to reply quickly in the future, but I will certainly try to follow the tread.

Kind regards,

  • Jan Hidders