Re: teaching relational basics to people, questions

From: floronDBA <theo.peterbroers_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 06:09:06 -0800 (PST)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth_normal_form>

> ... that's why I'm so forgiving when it disappoints me, I guess.
> I even try to remedy its shortcomings every now and then, which
> is why you see half a definition on that page right now - I couldn't
> find the definition of "U-projection" to complete it, and apparently,
> nobody else can, which makes me wonder whether the subject should
> be on Wikipedia in the first place.  So please help out if you can.
>
> --
> Reinier

Google "U projection" relational.

msh.revues.org/docannexe9233.html
PROJECTIVE OPERATIONS ON RELATIONAL CONSTRAINTS Luigi BURIGANA1

"2. EXISTENTIAL AND UNIVERSAL PROJECTIONS Let A  O[W] be any constraint and U  W any set of variables. The eprojection

(existential projection) of A relative to U, denoted by A " U, is the set containing
each assignment in context (W,O) such that there is a way of modifying its subassignment
on U so that the resulting assignment is in A. The u-projection (universal
projection) of A relative to U, denoted by A # U, is the set containing each assignment
in context (W,O) such that for every modification of its sub- assignment on U,
the resulting assignment is in A. The two concepts are formally rendered by these
equations:

A " U ={p + q : p0 + q 2 A for some p0 2 O[U]} (2) A # U ={p + q : p0 + q 2 A for all p0 2 O[U]} (3)

in which + is catenation between local assignments and q stands for a generic member
of O[W \ U]."

Sorry, most symbols come out wrong if I copy and paste. Received on Mon Jan 04 2010 - 15:09:06 CET

Original text of this message