Re: Fitch's paradox and OWA

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 18:12:19 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 31, 5:31 pm, Nam Nguyen <namducngu..._at_shaw.ca> wrote:
> Marshall wrote:
> >> You seemed to have confused between the FOL definition of models of formal
> >> systems in general and constructing a _specific_ model _candidate_. In defining
> >> the naturals, say, from computational model ... or whatever, you're just
> >> defining what the naturals be. It's still your onerous to prove/demonstrate
> >> this definition of the naturals would meet the definition of a model for,
> >> say Q, PA, .... So far, have you or any human beings successfully demonstrated
> >> so, without being circular? Of course not.

> > Showing that the axioms of PA are true in my definition is
> > straightforward, using only structural induction,
>

> It might be straightforward to you and you might call it "Cheney induction"
> instead of "structural induction" but it's irrelevant and the question is
> the same: how could you demonstrate that your definition would meet the FOL
> standard definition of model of a formal system? Did you already make that
> presentation in the thread and I simply missed it?

What sort of thing would you accept as an answer? What difficulties do you foresee?

If you are convinced it is impossible and that nothing will satisfy you, I'd rather not waste my time. On the other hand if you have a specific idea as to what a correct answer would look like, I might be able to satisfy you.

Marshall Received on Fri Jan 01 2010 - 03:12:19 CET

Original text of this message