Re: Fitch's paradox and OWA

From: Jesse F. Hughes <jesse_at_phiwumbda.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 12:36:22 -0500

Jan Hidders <hidders_at_gmail.com> writes:

> On 1 jan, 05:26, stevendaryl3..._at_yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough) wrote:
>> Marshall says...
>>
>> >Are your comfortable with how step 8 is
>> >obtained from step 7 via Rule C as described
>> >on this page?
>> >http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/fitch-paradox/
>>
>> Yes, that's exactly what they are doing. They
>> didn't use the |- symbol in step 7, but it is
>> clear that (7) is the conclusion of a proof.
>
> Wow. You are right. They correctly conclude in (7) that |- ~K(p & ~Kp).
>
> Hmm. I need to think this over. I'm beginning to believe now that the
> inference in the paradox is in fact correct.

But of course it's correct!

Fitch's paradox is perfectly non-controversial, as a matter of purely formal reasoning. It's well-known and well studied by logicians. It would be truly remarkable if you found an error in a famous formal proof of under a dozen lines.

--
"The papers are currently at journals.  [When published,] make no
mistake, there will be no place on this planet where you can hide.