Re: Fitch's paradox and OWA

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 03:15:03 -0400

Nam Nguyen wrote:

> Daryl McCullough wrote:
>

>> Marshall says...
>>
>>> I believe Nam is roughly of the opinion that if we can't know which
>>> one of {true, false} a sentence is, then we have no basis for saying
>>> it must be one or the other.
>>
>> But typically, for some statements such as "The Greek philosopher
>> Plato was left-handed" I don't know whether the statement is true
>> or not, and I also don't know whether anyone else knows whether it
>> is true or not, and I don't know whether it is *possible*, at this
>> late date, to find out whether it is true or not.

>> But surely, it's either true or false, right?

> No. Not surely. Since by our assumption here is nobody would know about
> his handed-ness, his nervous system to both arms might not have functioned
> at all to begin with and hence whether or not he was left-handed is moot
> and is not-truth assignable. As well, there are people are strong equally
> on both arms and therefore handed-ness is not applicable to them.

The term is ambidextrous and ambidextrous is not left-handed so the predicate would be false if that were the case.

It doesn't get tricky until handedness is equally strong in both arms but not for the same things like a person who writes left-handed but shoots right-handed etc.

--
is there something in it for them, like maybe bailouts, if they can
panic us into doing something politically to cover them?

November 19, 2007 - John S Bolton

http://tinyurl.com/y9e4vxh