Re: Fitch's paradox and OWA

From: Nam Nguyen <namducnguyen_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 22:39:48 -0700

Daryl McCullough wrote:
> Marshall says...
>

>> I believe Nam is roughly of the opinion that if we can't know which
>> one of {true, false} a sentence is, then we have no basis for saying
>> it must be one or the other.

> But typically, for some statements such as "The Greek philosopher
> Plato was left-handed" I don't know whether the statement is true
> or not, and I also don't know whether anyone else knows whether it
> is true or not, and I don't know whether it is *possible*, at this
> late date, to find out whether it is true or not.

> But surely, it's either true or false, right?

No. Not surely. Since by our assumption here is nobody would know about his handed-ness, his nervous system to both arms might not have functioned at all to begin with and hence whether or not he was left-handed is moot and is not-truth assignable. As well, there are people are strong equally on both arms and therefore handed-ness is not applicable to them. Received on Thu Dec 31 2009 - 06:39:48 CET

Original text of this message