Re: teaching relational basics to people, questions

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_ocis.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:36:58 -0800

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:29:26 -0800 (PST), Kevin Kirkpatrick <kvnkrkptrck_at_gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

>If I'm understanding your explanation properly, in a database with
>only table:
>
>BIG_US_CITIES {CITY_NAME, STATE_CODE}
>
>(that is, lacking table STATES {STATE_CODE}) one must logically infer,
>from the CWA, that states with no big cities, e.g. 'RI', do not exist?

     Effectively yes. You can only go by what is in the database. If that is not sufficient for your purposes, then the database should be redesigned. If it is sufficient, well and good. The idea of a database is not to model all that exists but only that which you are interested in.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko Received on Fri Dec 11 2009 - 22:36:58 CET

Original text of this message