Re: looking for another one of Codd's papers

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 08:13:24 -0800 (PST)

On 22 nov, 02:03, paul c <toledobythe..._at_oohay.ac> wrote:
> Cimode wrote:

> > It is curious you mention this book...
>
> > A few monthes ago, I have unsuccessfully tried to put my hands on
> > it...The next thing I have read is the following written at a later
> > date.  Hope this helps...
>
> >http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/fagin/tcs93.pdf
>
> > I would appreciate if you could you post the papers written before RM
> > was formulated initially.  It is reasonnable to assume that the period
> > between 65 and 68 was the period where Codd slowly went from
> > mathematical and naive set theory to  IS relation construct and I want
> > to understand that refining process better (rather than simply its
> > conclusions).
>
> Thanks.  It's good of Fagin to put so many of his papers online.  Seems
> Codd's papers are harder and harder to find.
>
> I don't have anything of his before 1969.  Regarding 'refining', I can't
> guess how long he was thinking about it or whether there were mis-steps
> that he didn't want to publish.  IBM had him working on lots of other
> things for many years.  It's pretty clear, though, that he had a very
> collaborative spirit and put his first two papers out for others to see,
> knowing he had a good base with lots left to do.

If not already done, I recommend you put your hands onto the following http://www.amazon.com/Cellular-Automata-E-F-Codd/dp/0121788504

The theory behind Codd's simplification and extension of Von Neuman is clearly a succesfull physical application of set theory into the context of computing. Received on Sun Nov 22 2009 - 17:13:24 CET

Original text of this message