Re: What would be a truly relational operating system ?

From: Rob <rmpsfdbs_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 08:09:20 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 12, 12:54 pm, Cimode <cim..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> I never undesrtood the hierarchical obsession.  It is like a bad
> natural habit.

A person of your obvious intelligence and proficiency in matters relational has no problem interacting with databases.

That is fine for you, but for the vast majority of people (not just IT people), database interaction will be impossible without a level-appropriate interface, preferably graphical.

I've never seen a non-proprietary graphical database interface for RDBs that was not basically textual. I know there are database experts in cdt who will disagree with me on this, but I believe that the common man understands hierarchical intuitively, whereas tabular/textual interfaces are incomprehensible when the amount of data that can be displayed textually exceeds the size of the screen. Graphical representation of hierarchies using color, size, shape, icons and action are so much more compact.

If you extrapolate backwards from what I say to "we should go back to hierarchical DBMSs," you are wrong. What I want to see are hierarchical interfaces to RDBMSs.

Hit me!

Rob Received on Fri Nov 13 2009 - 10:09:20 CST

Original text of this message