Re: Codd's Information Principle

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:37:30 -0700 (PDT)

On 30 oct, 19:41, paul c <toledobythe..._at_oohay.ac> wrote:
> Cimode wrote:
> > Snipped
> >> Maybe it's useful to ask this:  Was Codd trying to introduce assignment
> >> to logic, (eg. was he trying to augment predicate calculus) or was he
> >> trying to apply logic to the assignment of recorded values?
>
> > Can you ellaborate on what you mean by *assignment*.  If we are to
> > consider assignment in the sense of value assignment to a variable
> > then assignement is a simply component of mathematical logic.
> > Therefore, I do not see to define one according to the other through
> > precedence but rather through inclusion.
>
> > IMHO...
>
> Yes, I mean assignment to a (programming) variable.  I don't know of any
> logical operator called 'assignment'.
Thank you for clarifying. I now see your point. My mathematical bias tends to restrict the possible meaning of assignment to a logical assignment only to logical constructs such as relation variables.

Coming back to your question, though I could have hard time understanding how pure logic could be applied to a programming assignment, (which on an elementary sense is nothing but the semantic representation of a physical memory bit manipulation) whithout a relevant storage mechanism computing model defined first, I could imagine it as being a possible assumption of his for the future development of RM. My guess is he had enough to deal with on the logical side of things.

On the other hand, I strongly doubt you first other assumption. But I may just be wrong about that. Received on Fri Oct 30 2009 - 20:37:30 CET

Original text of this message