Re: data modeling confessions, part 1

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 02:22:03 -0500

Sampo Syreeni wrote:

> I'm no Catholic, but I've still sinned my part in modeling data, and
> need my absolution.

That was a truly admirable confession although I am an invincible agnostic.

Unfortunately my sin might be worse in a way. I claim never to be willing to admit nulls into a design, yet faced with a mob of 30+ technical reviewers, down-stream users, and developers from other departments all furiously telling me I'm wrong and that I'm making things needlessly difficult, I have usually found it easiest to just cravenly give in to them. Telling them that I am revealing rather than creating complexity never works. I haven't the time or energy to repeat the arguments and the demonstrations 30 times. I give in, go home on time, and get paid just the same. Not very admirable huh?

I am looking forward to Part 2 now.

PS: Does anyone else see how ironic it is that in one thread I am telling someone how a single table design can sometimes be OK and in another I am claiming that I get accused of making things needlessly complex? It's enough to give me a crisis of faith (or at least a hissy-fit)!