Re: relational reasoning -- why two tables and not one?

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 01:34:18 GMT

Clifford Heath wrote:
> paul c wrote:
> I hope the SAP example shows that's simply not the case. 500 tables is
> considered to be medium-sized in my experience.
>
> Last year I used CQL to model motor vehicle insurance claims. The model
> had 100 nouns, though the database was only 18 tables. It did not include
> most of the complexity of motor vehicle insurance, did not model the
> policy,
> underwriting, insurance history, nor many other facets; and this
> organisation
> handled more than twenty other types of insurance.

Thanks for that prompt, SAP was one of the products I had in mind. I'm very curious to what extent SAP uses views. I gather that it runs on SQL server, Oracle and perhaps other dbms'. Does it use some subterfuge to update/insert/delete to/from views? Does it implement its own integrity mechanisms to get around the various inadequacies of those dbms'? Received on Fri Oct 16 2009 - 03:34:18 CEST

Original text of this message