Re: Can relational alegbra perform bulk operations?

From: Walter Mitty <>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 10:28:29 GMT

"Banana" <> wrote in message
> any SQL products, commercial or not. Users have little incentive to adopt
> "good" behavior by letting optimizer doing their job. The blame lies
> squarely upon the feet of vendors (and to extent the standard committee as
> well)

I'm not following this. A good optimizer does one job, and lets the database designer/developer focus on a different job.

If "good behavior" is simple yet sound design in both database definitions and database transactions, then I would claim that a good optimizer does not discourage good behavior as much as a bad optimizer does. Received on Thu Oct 01 2009 - 05:28:29 CDT

Original text of this message