Re: more on delete from join

From: Kevin Kirkpatrick <kvnkrkptrck_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 08:12:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 1, 8:40 am, "Mr. Scott" <do_not_re..._at_noone.com> wrote:
> "paul c" <toledobythe..._at_oohay.ac> wrote in message

> > Mr. Scott wrote:
> >> The system having to guess what the user intended is a direct consequence
> >> of view updates being nondeterministic.  For example, an insert into a
> >> union view involving two tables is not deterministic because there are
> >> three different combinations of values that could result in the same
> >> value for the view.  The system has to guess whether the row must be
> >> inserted into one table or the other or both.  The same can be said of a
> >> delete from a join view.
>
> > This the standard absolutist, self-serving complaint.  Of course if you
> > set up a system that defines certain view updates as being
> > nondeterministic, certain view updates will be nondeterministic, but that
> > is not a consequence of relational theory.  I don't care whether the
> > motive comes from wilfulness or a wish to have simplistic implementations
> > or just confusion about the significance of atttribute names, instead I'll
> > take a stab at discarding the non-essential stuff and stick to what I hope
> > involves only predicates and a strict (TTM) algebra.
>
> > i) Suppose we have a relation S with predicate "s is a supplier" and
> > value:
>
> > S:
> > Bill
>
> > and a relation C with predicate "c is a customer" and value:
>
> > C:
> > Bill
> > Bob
>
> > So Bill is a supplier, Bill is a customer and Bob is a customer.
>
> > ii) Supposing we wish to distinguish customers who are also suppliers and
> > suppliers who are also customers, mere join (conventional) doesn't quite
> > produce a relation that can be queried without qualification, ie
>
> > S JOIN C:
> > s    c
> > Bill Bill
> > Bill Bob
>
> > This has the predicate "s is a supplier and c is a customer".  In
> > practice, it is more likely that 's' and 'c' would not be distinct
> > attribute names, still this join does allow us to conclude that Bill is
> > both a supplier and a customer, if the application language includes an
> > "equals" operator and users remember to use it. .
>
> > iii)  If we want the recording form itself to reflect the predicate we
> > want without depending on implementation language, eg., a slightly
> > different predicate, say "s is a supplier and c is a customer and s and c
> > have the same name", we need a join definition that makes the equality
> > explicit, by restricting the join to tuples where s = c, eg.,
> > :
> > R1 = ((S <RENAME> (s, c) ) <AND> C) <AND> S with value:
> > s    c
> > Bill Bill
>
> > In fact, S JOIN C, aka S <AND> C isn't quite what we want,  rather what we
> > want is equivalent to: S <AND> C <AND> R1.
>
> > R1's predicate could also be written as "s is a customer and s is a
> [...]

Yes - the "sound" approach would seem to be: the DBMS should only accept propositions which exactly conform to the predicates of the underlying base relvars. If there is a need within the user community to record propositions which do not exactly fit the existing base relvars, then the data model does not properly reflect the Universe Of Discourse, and needs to be modified accordingly. If there is a desire within the user communit to record propositions which do exactly fit existing base relvars, then the end-user (or the application they are using) should do so with precise assignments to the appropriate relvars. Received on Tue Sep 01 2009 - 17:12:00 CEST

Original text of this message