Re: more on delete from join

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 22:31:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 29, 7:44 am, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> paul c wrote:
> > Bob Badour wrote:
>
> >> But computers do solve systems of equations:
>
> >> x+y = 3
> >> x-y = 1
>
> > That seems a very useful interpretation to me, maybe much better than my
> > argument, interpretation is a big and tricky area, coalescing an
> > accurate interpretation with a useful one is a talent Codd had.
>
> I cannot take credit for it. From what I understand, the whole point of
> the work Vadim and Marshall have done is to find a way to solve systems
> of relational equations and what Marshall once told me leads me to
> suspect the idea originates with Vadim.

I thrashed around various ideas for view updates, none very good, before
hearing Vadim assert that the right way to think of it was solving a system
of equations. I didn't particularly cotton to the idea right away, but over
time I've become quite convinced of the rightness of it.

Marshall Received on Sun Aug 30 2009 - 07:31:03 CEST

Original text of this message