Re: more on delete from join

From: Mr. Scott <do_not_reply_at_noone.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 01:44:25 -0400

"paul c" <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote in message news:uH_lm.43016$PH1.35389_at_edtnps82...
> Mr. Scott wrote:
>> I don't need to look. <AND> is a relational operator; AND is a logical
>> operator. They are related only because the predicate of the result of
>> <AND> is the conjunction of the predicates of its operands.
>
> Actually, <AND> is not the logical conjunction of predicates, but the join
> or 'conjoin' (of relations) as D&D carefully put it, I think to make clear
> that it is not conjunction of logical predicates.

I didn't say that <AND> is the logical conjunction of predicates. I said that the predicate of the result of <AND> is the logical conjunction of the predicates of its operands. If you still doubt that that is what D&D intended, then I suggest that you revisit the sections "Dispensing with TIMES" and "Dispensing with UNION" on pages 362-363. Received on Sat Aug 29 2009 - 07:44:25 CEST

Original text of this message